Innsbruck...I'm Speechless


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Tyrol » Innsbruck
June 16th 2010
Published: June 24th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Day one

Today was day one of busabout. We travelled from Munich to Innsbruck. Absolutley amazing. Either side of the road were these sheer mountains, all snow capped and massive. It was such a beautiful place. We crossed the border into Austria while snaking around these mountains and arrived into Innsbruck. It is such a beatutiful place completley surround by the same sheer mountains seen when we drove there. It has a massive river (the River Inn), which is incredibly fast flowing and cold. We were staying at the Gasthoff Innsbruck, so a 2 minute walk and we were in the old town. Narrow streets, small shops, lots of sidewalk cafes and tourists. We orientated ourselves around Innsbruck for the rest of the afternoon. We saw the old ski jump that was used in the Olympics of 1964 and 1976. It is hard to miss, Innsbruck seem to be very proud of it and it sits over the top of town. We had a quite night in the bar downstairs at our hostel with another busabouter, Erin.


Day two

Today we headed up the mountains. Innsbruck sits approximatley 550m above sea level. We caught a train to hungerburg and then two cable cars to seegrube, so we were sitting approximatley 2650m above sea level. It was cold. Very cold. We had reached the snow capped peaks of the mountains and it was a long way down to innsbruck. I can imagine that during ski season this whole mountain would be black diamond runs. I was too scared to get even close to the edge for fear of sliding off the mountain. Or causing an avalanche. Got many awesome pictures from up there of Innsbruck below.

We headed back down the mountain, had a quick lunch then caught the bus out to ‘Crystal World’, the Swarovski Crystal exhibition. It is a bizzare mix of contemporary art and various takes of what others consider art. After 15 rooms we made our way to the shop. Woohoo!! I found something I could actually afford and walked out with an 8 euro pair earrings! I even got a 2 euro discount so they cost me 6! We made our way back into Innsbruck and headed back into the old town for dinner. Best spag bol I have ever had (besides mum's of course), and Geoff had these amazing pasta parcels browned and covered in cheese. Yummo.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 41; dbt: 0.0319s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb