Oktoberfest *Prost!!


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Tyrol » Innsbruck
October 4th 2007
Published: October 4th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Darnit, the keyboards here are different, the z and y are switched and 's and such are in all sorts of places. Plus, I created an entry but it got deleted!


Anyway, John and I landed at the Munich Airport at 5:50am after a very long flight. We spent at least 30 mins trying to figure out how to buy a train ticket to get to the main train center where we would be meeting the rest of the party to go to Oktoberfest. We got there early we just walked the whole station trying all the food. The sausages here really do kick ass!! After finally meeting up with everyone we walked over to one of the tent areas (huge) and preceeded to to drink some really big beers! It was a lot of fun and everyone had a great time. After that we went back to the train station to go to Austria. We didn't get to buy our tickets in time for the train to leave so we were told by our local friends to just get on the train - without tickets!!!

It was still fun though, because we were all drunk and tired, especially John and I since we were up since 4:30am the morning before enroute to Munich including at least 2 liters of beer each. We ended up in one of the train compartments with two older men, I took out my phrasebook and we all tried some of the german words we know, everyone was laughing so hard that the conductor (I think) had to announce into our compartment to quiet down.

We finally got into Austria and there were i think 9 of us and they had to send 3 cars to pick all of us up with our luggage, good thing John and I went with only one carryon each (Thanks Rick Steves!). The reason it took 3 cars though is that the cars here are tiny!!! no one drives large cars, it's all so cute, they're smaller than the smart cars coming to America!

One thing is for sure, these Bavarians know how to hold their liquor!! John kept running away from Tony's dad who is this cute old man who looks like Leslie Neilson from Naked Gun who runs around with a bottle of local (next door neighbor) made Schnapps. IT BURNS GOING DOWn!! Everyone is so friendly. There is at least 10 of us at any point in the day at the Haupfauf's house (Tony's parents house) eating and drinking. The food is soo good here. The pork is from their pigs, the veggies from their garden, eggs from their chicken and ducks. Sooooooo good. If you like sausages, the are sooo good here (Sausages, salamis, cheese - F-ing damn good!!! -John). They have a specialty dish that is very Austrian and it is a wienerschnitzel - no relation to the hot dog stuff in America. It is a thinly pounded pork chop that is breaded pan fried and eaten with Lingon berries, and potatoes. IT IS SOOOOO GOOD.

Here are some pictures so far: http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a79/Tanyahh1/Europe/ These pictures are from John and Wing's camera since I forgot to bring along my cable to the internet cafe, those will come later. Bye!

Advertisement



5th October 2007

Aww! So jealous!!
Looks like your having a great time, more pictures please!!! Wedding!!!!
8th October 2007

Sound of Music
Hehe... all that's missing is for you to sing "the hills are alive with the sound of music.... :)"

Tot: 0.138s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0517s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb