Bad Ischl and Hallstatt


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Salzburg
October 19th 2008
Published: October 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Bad Ischl and Hallstatt



After a few great days in Salzburg with family we parted ways and under Grandad’s advice headed for Bad Ischl to stay for a couple of days so we could see Hallstatt which is a Heritage listed town lying along a huge lake surrounded snow-capped mountains and just below a famous salt mine. Bad Ischl is the transport hub for the whole lake district which Hallstatt is just one town of. We managed to get a small double room for two nights with breakfast via a short game of charades as the hotel owner couldn’t speak a single word of English and myself only a little German. So we ate then slept and the next day headed for Hallstatt. Wow Hallstatt was beautiful. Definitely the best landscape we have seen so far. We walked around took a few photos but then the camera ran out of power. We went on an extremely expensive cable ride out the side of a mountain to a salt mine where we had a guided tour. This was quite interesting and at the end we did what you do at a salt mine - We bought some salt! Chilli salt actually and also received to small sample size plain salts. There was a whole heap of other things we could have done here but we ran out of time and had to leave. I think we would both love to come back here and stay for a while. Really nice place and you can also get up to the ski areas from here.

Vienna



Well unfortunately Vienna was a little bit of a non event. We hadn’t pre-booked any accommodation and couldn’t get anything more than one day at a time. Basically we spent each day looking for more accommodation . After realising that booking in advance is probably a good idea we organised a few more places to stay for our future travels. All this meant that we have no pictures, except one of Kim Chi (we really missed eating Korean food that we ate regularly at home - Oh and that pickled cabbage cost 6 euro...OMG...Koreans eat that as a staple side dish with most meals and we never get charged for it in Australia, the Koreans in Vienna must be ropable), and no idea really what Vienna is like. A little bit sad but that the way it goes. Have to come back another time. Anyway next installment will be Prague where we stayed for 5 days.........

Mitch



Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

HallstattHallstatt
Hallstatt

This is the last picture before the camera died. The house up ahead is the area where you buy tickets to the Salt Mine tour....I think by this point we were 900 or so feet above sea level
Kim Chi from ViennaKim Chi from Vienna
Kim Chi from Vienna

Quite sad but this is all the pictures we got from Vienna


Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0217s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb