Night train to Zagreb


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Salzburg » Salzburg
May 12th 2005
Published: May 18th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Salzburg train stationSalzburg train stationSalzburg train station

Nancy and Dorothy waiting for the train to Zagreb to arrive.
Carrying three Crocodille curry chicken sandwiches and a bottle of water each Nancy, Dorothy and I climbed aboard the train from Prague to Salzburg, Austria about six this evening. We were on our way to Zagreb, Croatia by way of Salzburg, Austria. The trail rolled out of Prague on time heading south across the beautiful Czech countryside through Taborg. We entered Austria just north of Linz. By that time we reached Austria I had climbed into the top bunk and gone to sleep. Nancy and Dot were in the lower bunks. Dot sat watching the countryside roll by all the way to Salzburg, even though the sun had set three hours earlier.

We arrived in Salzburg at 00:40 where we changed trains. Our wait was less than an hour and we were aboard the train to Zagreb by 01:30. This was the nicest train I have ever been on. Our compartment had a sink with drinkable water.Each of us had not only a nice bunk to sleep in but soap and a towel to wash up with. We didn't know it then but we also got a continental breakfast of a fruit filled croissant and either tea or coffee to go with it. Each of us was given a bottle of water. There were three bunks in the room, three high. Dot climbed to the top, I was in the middle, and Nancy on the lower bunk.

The train travelled East by Southeast across Austria and then into Slovenia. When we awoke we were still in Slovenia travelling beside a river with mountains rising on each side. It is a beautiful ride.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.273s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 15; qc: 29; dbt: 0.2256s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb