In Salzburg!!


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Salzburg » Salzburg
March 29th 2006
Published: March 29th 2006
Edit Blog Post

The Chief architect of the trip has invited me to post a guest blog, so here goes..

We are sitting in a cigarette smoke filled empty internet cafe in Salyburg at 8.45 pm right now, after having got here at 4.00 and checking into the YoHo. We were apprehensive as to whether we will be able to finish seeing things here in 24 hrs, but we covered most of what one could walk and see in Old Town, including a few gift shops as well as taking photos, in all of 90 minutes and so I guess it wasnt as bad 😊

The highlights of today were the Hofburg treasury visit that we did in the morning at Vienna, where a certain member of our party (not me, clearly) stared and stared and stared in wonderment at the many jewels, crowns etc on display. We took a train out of there to Salzburg and got here in 3.5 hrs, thankfully, since we had a couple from Malaysia sitting with us and the lady particularly could talk faster than anyone Ive seen in the recent past, and spoke nonstop all the way until we got here..

Well, Salzburg lived up to the hopes I had I think, atleast so far. Nice small town, beautiful streets and churches, lively pedestrian zones, and lots and lots of shops...particularly selling all sorts of Mozart memorabilia..

The highlight so far was a wonderful meal we just enjoyed at an Indian restaurant right here - a vegan place none the less. I had a good masala chai after a long time, and half a container of Mango pickle was emptied by Amritha ...

The person working there was also really nice - Nirmal from Punjab, who has visa troubles and hasnt visited his parents in 10 yrs. He hopes to get his visa this year and make it home, though its too late for things like his brothers wedding as well as his sisters wedding, both of which he missed (cant figure out where the apostrophe is on this keyboard for the life of me, so doing without them for now)...

Oh and I guess Amritha already mentioned it, but we did see a spectacular performance of Swan Lake in Vienna - which made the trip for me I think....

Thats about it I guess ... do keep hte comments coming in. Were going to attempt to visit the gurudwara or the temple here tomorrow if we get time (which I presume we will have ample of, unless we suddenly discover lots to do here)

Adios, au revoir, auf wiedersehen!


Advertisement



29th March 2006

Enjoy
That was a good description of the Salzburg. So you guys found an Indian restaurant? Good. It must have been good to eat Indian food after a long time. Did u guys have Indian found in Amsterdam or Munich? I am sure there would have been Indian restaurants out there. Enjoy.
30th March 2006

Joy & Sweetness..
Hello: At this point I'm posting for the pleasure of your blog's considerable # of fans. So they can equate my title to you 2.. I just heard from a Malaysian who said that her relative is mortified that her speed of speech is immortalized on this blog. :-)). Besides all the local cultures that you soak in, it's just great how you keep meeting these interesting desi characters and weaving them into your story. I do hope Nirmal gets his visa and can go meet his family. Maybe you'll meet a good lawyer and can refer him..? Great to see updates from both tourists... Love, Amma

Tot: 0.371s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.1939s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb