Train to Salzberg & Salzberg


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Salzburg » Salzburg
July 15th 2008
Published: July 15th 2008
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: view from fortress 28 secs
The last time we talked, Robert and I were getting on a train to Salzburg, Mozart country. I have to say that as much as I have disliked the night trains, I have loved the day trains. You get to see a huge amount of the countryside and they serve wine to boot. Once we arrived in Salzburg at about 8 at night. we tried to find the hotel but no one seemed to know where it was, even though it is on the main street. Once there, we collapsed and stayed in our beds until 10 knowing that tonight, ,we will get on a train after midnight and arrive in Zurich at 6 a.m., only to get on another train and then a boat to our hotel.

Salzburg is small but beautiful. Not a whole lot to see unless you are a Mozart freak and we are here during the Mozart festival so there are a lot of concerts and plays going on. Kathy took a great leap of faith and took a tram up the mountain to the Festung hohensalzburg Fortress, in existence since 1077. The ride took only 30 seconds but I was afraid of the weight limit on the train and lack of air. Once we got up there and toured the sights, I told Robert that it was funny that this place had been in existence for thousands of years and withstood every war/attack and it was going to fall down the minute I step foot on it.

Had bieri and weiner schnitzel on the top and came down and went to a beer garden, in existence since 1462 where I had bratwurst and sauerkraut (thanks Piazza) and Robert again had weiner schnitzel. Now in the hotel bar waiting to go the to train station and then on to Switzerland.


Additional photos below
Photos: 50, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



15th July 2008

Hatred
I hate you both more now that I have seen your blog!!! It looks amazing!! Skype me when you get a chance again!

Tot: 0.11s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0632s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb