Photo Rally


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Salzburg » Fuschl am See
May 1st 2012
Published: May 4th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Apple StrudelApple StrudelApple Strudel

We had this fine strudel at a morning rest stop.
Today was the “photo rally”. Last night we were provided with a series of pictures together with accompanying skill testing questions. The idea being that we would visit the area where the pictures were taken and that would permit us to answer the questions. Bear in mind we are at almost all times moving – quite quickly. Anyway, believing that we only had a few moments with the pictures, Josh whipped out his IPhone to make a quick copy so that we could get a head start on the rally. We were promised “valuable prizes” and didn’t want a poor finish. It appears that the Treffenmeister may have caught on to our plan. Either way, we were allowed to keep our booklet of pictures. We had great plans to use google to figure out the answers, but ran out steam and sleep over took us.

The next day, we discovered that one of our group went to the front desk and got them to provide all the answers. In a great show of collegiality she then shared all the answers with the rest of the group. The “answer” book was circulated from car to car during the morning, taking much
Another Mountain PassAnother Mountain PassAnother Mountain Pass

Josh captured this shot as we passed over yet another mountain pass.
of the stress off. Coincidentally, the answers which were later turned in, were strikling similar.

The driving was, as always, great. We drove through the“Sound of Music” area. The famous musical used many location in this area for shooting the film. We were for a short period of time on the “Romantic Road”. Today is May the 1st and everywhere we saw May poles being erected by young men in lederhosen. Some of the poles were 30 feet or more high.

We had a great lunch sitting on the patio of Schloss Fuschl which is right next to Goering’s favourite hunting lodge (now a Sheraton). There used to an exhibit with Goering memorabilia. However, this has been removed – presumably bad taste. The Schloss Fuschl has been operating since 1450. Our fleet of 911s parked at the front alongside the hotel’s classic Rolls-Royce.

We ate lunch on the terrace where we looked on to the emerald green Fuschlsee (lake). I was delighted to see a sign for the “Sissi" suite. Apparently it is the premier suite - makes sense.

After lunch we returned to Salzburg. We had our first midday nap in many days. It was
Josh Dresses UpJosh Dresses UpJosh Dresses Up

Josh showing off his finest for the Photo Rally Awards banquest
sorely needed. We (or at least I) slept soundly for an hour with the windows open to the park below.

In the evening we held our “Rally Banquet”. I would ordinarily have avoided such a thing like the plague. However, I am a little embarrassed to say, that we had a lot of fun Our Treffenmeister, Peter did an excellent job of hosting the event. He had "awards" to hand out which he had purchased from the Stuttgart flea market the weekend before. It was clear that he had put some thought into each “prize”. Josh and I put in a fine 3rd place showing. Josh received an antique car. I received a huge beer stein.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Pasked in Front of the Schloss FuschlPasked in Front of the Schloss Fuschl
Pasked in Front of the Schloss Fuschl

Everywhere we go, the cars have reserved parking.


5th May 2012
Josh Dresses Up

One foxy gentleman.

Tot: 0.19s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 60; dbt: 0.1393s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb