Scenic Tours Jewels of Europe #12


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Lower Austria » Durnstein
August 28th 2010
Published: August 28th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Durnstein

On the way to Durnstein we passed more castles along the Danube. Durnstein means on dry rock.

The ruined Trifels Castle above Durnstein is the one where Richard III was held captive until discovered by his servant who was searching for him. At each castle the servant posed as a wandering minstrel would sing or whistle the King's favourite song. When Richard sang back the servant knew he had found his king. It was said that Richard was released after payment of the largest ransom ever.

The pedestrian entrance to the town appears to be under buildings and perhaps the old city/castle wall. There we entered a courtyard on our left leading to a ticket booth, an art gallery and the Monastery. Perhaps the art gallery building with its ornate ceilings was more interesting than the art.

Across the courtyard was the entrance to the Monastery and the Church with the blue and white tower. It was an ornate and pleasantly light church with unusual "balconies" over the aisles. A door led out onto a balcony that gave pleasant views of the Danube.

We then walked the full length of the street. Some buildings had walls that were thicker at the bottom. The ruined church and old town wall provided walls for many buildings. We bought a few things and went out through the old wall gate and back to the boat.

There is never enough time to explore.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.393s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0522s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb