A DAY IN ST THOMAS


Advertisement
Published: April 15th 2011
Edit Blog Post

St. Thomas
Woke early and headed to the Windjammer for breakfast, fruit and smoked salmon for me. Arrived at St. Thomas at 11:00 and watched as the Captain slid the Freedom in between the Norwegian Epic and a Carnival Ship. It’s really amazing how easy it seems to maneuver this vessel with it’s azipods. By 11:30 we were off the ship and on our way for a tour of the Island and some beach time. The weather was overcast but that didn’t affect the beautiful views. The island is very developed with many properties for sale or half built. We saw two more cruise ships moored at the other pier for a total of five ships in port. Charlotte Amalie must be a zoo today. I waved to Linda & Ed on St. Croix, somewhere off in the distance.
We stopped a couple of picture spots and then headed to Megan’s Bay to get in some beach time before the rain. The beach is long and sandy. The area near the concessions was crowded so we headed in the other direction and found a spot. I immediately went into the water.
It was so buoyant that it was a struggle to just stand there. Pelicans and terns were fishing and the pelicans didn’t care if there were people around when it spotted a fish. They just dived into the water. I watched the black cloud approaching and the rains began and then stopped, a typical tropical shower. We moved to cover and then set up and relaxed until it was time to meet the taxi.
We made a final stop at a Botanical Garden but the rain followed us so we were there only a few minutes. Then back to the ship with a stop in outside the pier for those who wanted to shop.
Dinner tonight was in the main dining room. I chose the grilled Basa, a wonderful, flavorful buttery white fish. The food here has been very, very good.
Tonight we went to the ice rink to see the show. The rink is about a third of the size of a hockey rink so the fact that choreography was executed so well was impressive. I can’t imagine doing leaps and lifts on solid ground, let along on ice and on an ice rink at sea.
After the show I headed to the cabin. I have an early tour tomorrow.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.428s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 47; dbt: 0.1951s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb