Kayaking Lindbergh Bay


Advertisement
Published: January 19th 2011
Edit Blog Post

I can't believe it's our last day in the Virgin Islands. Our trip has passed so quickly! To think, we'll be navigating through the ice and snow before the end of the day. Andy, Erin and Julie are already at the airport (it was a little challenging for them to get there, as a private plane crashed into the fence by our hotel as it was taxing around the airport); they're flying to Puerto Rico and then Chicago for their layovers.

Andrew and I decided to enjoy a kayak trip out in the bay together before taking off for the airport. As soon as Oliver went down for his nap, we left him with Grandma Judy & Grandpa Larry and headed out for our last day in the sun.

Kayaking was relaxing and fun. I did a lot of the paddling in our two person kayak--not because Andrew wouldn't, but because I wanted to. The ocean water pushed into the bay, and we weren't strong enough to leave it (the rental guy had warned us to that effect). We were able to get close to the edge of the bay, though, and we enjoyed watching the birds skim the
Kayaking Toward Open OceanKayaking Toward Open OceanKayaking Toward Open Ocean

The current pushed into the bay, and we weren't able to paddle out into the ocean. That was probably a good thing.
water, looking for fish. The water was crystal clear, but we didn't get to see any ocean animals on this kayak trip. I bet we scared them away with our paddles!

Paddling back to shore was infinitely easier than paddling out, as the waves pushed us in. All we really had to do was navigate the kayak and paddle occassionally. As we returned to shore, we discovered that more people had trickled into the beach. We passed many snorkellers. Hopefully, we didn't scare the fish away from them!

We took a few photos. I had our camera in two plastic bags to prevent us from losing it or breaking it. I'd heard that people commonly do this; it didn't work well for us, though! As you could tell from the photos, the bags made everything fuzzy.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Look at Me!Look at Me!
Look at Me!

I'm paddling a kayak in Saint Thomas! I'm such an adventurer ;-)
Our ViewOur View
Our View

The sun was strong on our backs. Although we'd applied sunscreen, I could feel the heat of the sun. We ended up putting on our life jackets to pretect ourselves from the sun. They didn't require we wear the life jackets at all; they just told us we had to have them "because of the Coast Guard."


Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0554s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb