It's A Small Small World . . .


Advertisement
Published: March 21st 2010
Edit Blog Post

March 20, 2010

Today was definitely an entertaining day full of crazy coincidences and connections - most of which happened in the evening . . .

We’ll begin with a quick overview of the day: We slept until noon, which meant our day began with a deli lunch followed by beach time. We ventured out on the paddle bikes - 2 pontoons and a bike with a paddleboat paddle. More work than it looks but fun and a decent workout. Since we had to stay in the bay, we got a nice view of all the beautiful homes on the beach front (stay tuned for pics - they were taken from our water camera). From the ocean we jumped to the hot tub and the pool - it was an afternoon of lounging at its best.

Around 8 PM we began our intriguing evening of happenstance. We jumped on a safari taxi downtown to meet my Chicago friend Allison at Margarita Phil’s (Coincidence #1 - my friend/manager from Equinox Lincoln Park was also vacationing this week in St. John with her boyfriend). The taxi ride brought on several other strange coincidences. The rowdy group we joined on the safari taxi happened to be from Iowa. One of the men had on a Cornell t-shirt, as in Cornell College where my parents went to school, so of course I had to ask. Although he didn’t go to school there, someone on the bus had a son that did. When I told them my dad grew up in Waterloo, Iowa, it became an instant party - they were all from Waterloo and Cedar Rapids! Their daughter was sporting a Northern Iowa t-shirt and they were gloating from their recent win. It was hard to take them seriously about anything because many of them were three sheets to the wind, but the discussions obviously turned in to where are you from . . . blah, blah, blah . . . which eventually randomly came around to finding out that the brother-in-law of one of the men was Coach Mike Williams from my high school, the head football coach. The drunken clan continued to laugh and joke with us and as we left the taxi upon which they actually proceeded to drunk-dial Coach Williams to ask if he knew me. Thank goodness he did not pick up but it was highly entertaining to say the least!

Dinner with friends was fun and delicious, but they had had a long day and took off early. Ready to party, we roamed the town and eventually ended up at the Beach Bar. Here, we met a couple, John and Dee Dee. Bizarre connection #3 - John is a CEO of a search engine optimization company, which is something Sean is OBSESSED with since it’s what makes his businesses succeed, so Sean and he internet talked all night. Dee Dee, a psychology major, is obsessed with fitness and has been wanting to drop everything and become a personal trainer, so she and I began our discussion of the fitness industry. The two loved to travel, like us, so we shared our adventures and finished off the night.
A night of cocktails and good time . . . memories and laughter . . . nothing beats that.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.159s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0572s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb