Some Observations - Crafts, Foods, & Signs


Advertisement

Some of the craft and souvenir shops that you see on the islands are the same that you see anywhere. You have the typical jewelry, the T-shirts with numerous funny and not so funny sayings, handmade dolls and all of the other items you expect in a gift shop in any tourist town. The nice thing is that we have also seen many unique items – either due to the materials used or the skills involved.... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 51, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Do you know this one?Do you know this one?
Do you know this one?

We saw a sugar apple (sweetsop) growing while on our walk to the falls while visiting St. Vincent.
About Ready to EatAbout Ready to Eat
About Ready to Eat

Joe, our tour guide in Dominica is about to eat the cashew apple. You have to either eat the whole thing at once or lean over as it is very juicy and makes quite a mess as Janice found out. It is quite soft and is tart but quite nice.
The inside of a sweetsopThe inside of a sweetsop
The inside of a sweetsop

You "peel" away the individual white pedals, eat the sweet white coating and discard the black seed inside.
Loaded with MangoesLoaded with Mangoes
Loaded with Mangoes

All the trees seem to be loaded with mangoes throughout the islands
Is it a banana?Is it a banana?
Is it a banana?

This may look like a mango and bananas but they really are dessert figs. When buying “bananas” you always have to ask to find out what you are really buying as there is quite a variety ranging from plantains to dessert bananas, dessert figs and bananas.
Is this a pear?Is this a pear?
Is this a pear?

The vendor called this a pear but we finally determined after talking to her that it is a pear avocado. “Please do not shake them” was the lesson every vendor told us so you don’t make the flesh inside black. We hadn’t seen one that was this deep a color of purple – in reality it is almost the color of eggplant.
The  flag manThe  flag man
The flag man

This is the “flag man” in Rodney Bay, St. Lucia that sold us those fabulous mangoes that have set the standard for us.
Lime makes the differenceLime makes the difference
Lime makes the difference

We have learned that to bring out the flavor of the pawpaw you should squeeze a wedge of lime on it – what a great breakfast treat.
Starfruit on steroidsStarfruit on steroids
Starfruit on steroids

We had never seen star fruit this large before. They are a nice addition to a salad.
How much is that pie filling??How much is that pie filling??
How much is that pie filling??

Just an example of one of the shelves we saw in a store recently. The can of apple pie filling was only $9! As we have said you can pretty much get anything you want in some of the shops if you have the money for it.
Our mango manOur mango man
Our mango man

Godfrey went and picked us fresh mangoes and delivered them to us in his wooden fishing boat. After paying him he was treated to ice cold water as well. Many of the vendors have seemed to enjoy this treat as they are usually out in their boats for hours on very hot days.
Loads of MangoesLoads of Mangoes
Loads of Mangoes

We are constantly seeing trees loaded down with mangoes. We didn’t realize that there are so many varieties and there definitely is a difference. Luckily the vendors know the difference.
The sweetness of mangoThe sweetness of mango
The sweetness of mango

Note the rich orange color of these sweet mangoes. The flesh is firm, sweet and without fibers – what a great find.
The bigger the betterThe bigger the better
The bigger the better

A few of the mangoes we bought from Godfrey
ShurFine in the IslandsShurFine in the Islands
ShurFine in the Islands

The ShurFine raisen bran sells for 15.50 EC which equals $5.81 US –this is much cheaper than we have seen in other places.
BreadfruitBreadfruit
Breadfruit

Breadfruit trees are quite numerous. We always say we would hate to be under one when these drop. We found that you only pick what you need as they do not keep well at all so need to use them almost immediately.
A pear?A pear?
A pear?

The vendor called this a pear but we finally determined after talking to her that it is a pear avocado. “Please do not shake them” was the lesson every vendor told us so you don’t make the flesh inside black. We hadn’t seen one that was this deep a color of purple – in reality it is almost the color of eggplant.
Pawpaw is better with limePawpaw is better with lime
Pawpaw is better with lime

We have learned that to bring out the flavor of the pawpaw you should squeeze a wedge of lime on it – what a great breakfast treat.
Starfruit are bigger hereStarfruit are bigger here
Starfruit are bigger here

We had never seen star fruit this large before. They are a nice addition to a salad.
Are you in the safe zone?Are you in the safe zone?
Are you in the safe zone?

Montserrat is dividied into zones and at times warnings are given that zones must be evacuated due to volcanic activity
Who is that on the label?Who is that on the label?
Who is that on the label?

Yes,, that really is Janice - this is one of the distilleries we toured on Martinique



18th June 2011

Ithaca news
Your blog is bringing back fond memories. Hope to see you in Ithaca. I think it will stop raining soon and be safe. Sherry & Lee
27th March 2016

What Is it ?
The fruit shown under this caption is called " Custard Apple ".Nearby Mumbai,Maharashtra, there are lot of gardens of this fruit. I have thoroughly enjoyed your blogs.I find them informative and very positive.
27th March 2016

thank you
Thank you Bharat for the comment and glad that you are enjoying the blog. It was nice of you to comment on one of our older entries as it brought back memories of our travels from previous years!

Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0519s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb