heading back to st lucia to drop off bruce


Advertisement
Published: February 15th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Arriving at Bequia we went to anchor in our usual place, next to the big buoys, a couple in a dinghy came out to tell us not to anchor there, they said there were fuel lines to get caught up in, Alan has dived that whole area so knew this was not likely. A heated discussion on our boat, but the captain’s word was law, and we anchored. He went in and dived the anchor, and was pleased to report that there was nothing to worry about. We into town and went to the sailors cafe, a small cafe which we like, we all had lunch. Bruce had a roti, and it was good. The sun was shining down, we walked past all the market stalls, the colours of the fruit and vegetables glistening, bright primary colours, but incredibly expensive. There are a lot of small cruise ships stop at Bequia and the passengers like to buy some fruit. There is not much else to buy, although there is a small amount of people making very delicate model sailing yachts, which are really attractive. The ladies and men sit outside their stalls waiting for custom, only seeming to wake up when somebody stops to browse. There are a few little supermarkets; going in them is always a bit of a challenge. To find what you want can be quite hard, but now we know to always look in the freezers to see what is in there in unidentified packages. Actually it was quite funny at Union Island when the very large owner of the lambi supermarket tried to find some chops in his top opening freezer and after about five minutes had to retire back to his seat feeling dizzy!
We then decided to dive the reef again, I went too this time, one of the guys on the little boats that have moorings here asked Alan to attach some chain to one of them, he said he would later, but by the time we came back he had let it to a charter yacht! Just hope it doesn’t blow in the night or it might end up drifting out to sea. Somebody was telling us about a couple who were on one of the moorings, the lady woke up in the night, thought it had got a bit choppy and looked out the window to see the lights of st vincent! They had drifted out and were still attached to the mooring ball. That is why we prefer our own anchor. After the dive we came home, and Alan and I went to Peter and Veronicas for sunset drinks. Then stayed home in the evening.
The next day we met Simon and jenny. We arranged to go out that night. We went swimming on the beautiful beach that afternoon, it was a bit of a challenge to launch the dinghy in the surf, but luckily an Australian guy helped us, manhandling me into it at the last minute. Not very elegant.
After drinks on our boat we went out on a ‘Simon ‘ night. It was funny, we went to the local bar where the music is so loud you can hear it on the boat about half a mile away. The ‘bar’ is just a small corral where they sell fruit and veg in the daytime. There is a stage with massive speakers, and a man mixing tracks on a big sound system and the noise is phenomonal. Strange valentines dinner, the soup was conch and sea snail, with dumplings, and the drink was beer in the bottle, served on a plastic table with plastic bowls. After about 2 hours of this, I had to go, but luckily so did everyone else. There was a bit of a street party it seemed, with people everywhere and loud music. It was not exactly a tourist venue though. By this time Alan and Bruce and I were starving so when we saw a woman outside a house cooking chicken we went in and had fried chicken and chips, it was good. My head was too full of beer so then about midnight we went home. Even back on the boat the music was really loud.

We set off this morning from bequia, my head was suffering and sailed over to st vincent. We stopped at Petit Byatt, a small cove, we went there three years ago when there was a small hotel, but now that has gone. The dive on the headland is great, and last time we did it there were so many fish. The coral is pristine as well. Alan and Bruce dived it, but i was in no fit state for diving. Never mind. I picked them up min the dinghy and had a good snorkel. It was a very calm day there, and we all relaxed and had a nice lunch.
We came up here to wallibilou about a couple of hours ago, they were friendly as ever, and ron or was it ronnie, rowed out to see us. He is a nice guy, but tonight we are going to the hotel to eat. Bruce deserves a normal night out! Ron told us that he had a party last night for valentines up at his place.
Now it is gently raining, the rainforest is very green and lush up above us, palm trees dripping. hot and steamy.




Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

viux fort 020viux fort 020
viux fort 020

bruce doing what he does best...relaxing


Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 52; dbt: 0.052s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb