Sulphur springs


Advertisement
Published: July 8th 2018
Edit Blog Post

IMG_20180707_150630IMG_20180707_150630IMG_20180707_150630

Covered in mud
Today we went to Soufriere to go to the sulphur springs. People travel to these springs to bathe in the hot water and have a mud bath. You can tell when you're getting close to it, as you begin to get a strong smell of egg. They advise to wear a dark or old swim suit, because the mud stains and sometimes the smell doesn't wash out. The smell wasn't noticeable once we were actually down in the baths, or maybe we were just used to it by then. It was really busy there with coaches of people from Martinique visiting. We spent an hour or so covering ourselves in mud, waiting for it to dry and then bathing in the hot springs. The mud was so difficult to wash off though. I showered there, and showered when I got home, and I'm still finding bits caked on. My skin is very soft though.

There are also the Piton mountains there, with some fantastic views of them from the road into Soufriere. We've made plans to hike one of the mountains next week, so that should be really good. Apparently you can get to the top in a couple of
SAM_0002SAM_0002SAM_0002

Apollo, Errol and Celia
hours and there are amazing views up there. So we'll definitely give that a go.

I also tried quite a few local foods today. I had 'fishcakes', which is saltfish dipped in batter and fried. It's more like a really mini 'fish and chips' shop style fish. I also had a 'bake' which is like fried bread. Tastes like a doughnut. Then we had cassava bread. Which is apparently a vegetable called cassava or yuca (like they eat on Bear Grylls' island) that is grated and then they mix it with fish or raisins or banana or cinnamon, etc and then bake it to make a sweet or savoury bread/cake thing. I didnt really like the sweet ones, but I'm not a huge fan of raisins or cinnamon which were the flavours we had. The fish one was pretty nice, and tasted more like an english fish cake, but stodgier. It's probably all pretty unhealthy because it's all fried. And after trying all that, I was too full for dinner.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

IMG_20180707_135155IMG_20180707_135155
IMG_20180707_135155

The view of the Pitons
SAM_0007SAM_0007
SAM_0007

Hot sulphur spring bath to wash the mud off


Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0285s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb