PR Day 7: Aboard the Erin Go Bragh


Advertisement
Puerto Rico's flag
Central America Caribbean » Puerto Rico
December 15th 2009
Published: January 14th 2010
Edit Blog Post

ON A SAILBOAT
Tuesday, our last full day in Puerto Rico, was the day I had most looked forward to. We were going sailing for the day. Sailing on the ocean. Ah. How wonderful. Well, it was and it wasn't. The sailboat was fantastic, the company good, and the food delicious. However, my body couldn't quite handle the waves and I was seasick most of the day. Go figure. Things got better midday when Ingrid loaned those of us who were nauseous bracelets that put pressure at a point on our wrists. I need my own for flying!

Our day started early, although not as early as the day before. We had time for breakfast before we left for Puerto Del Ray marina, which is just southeast of the Fajardo port. Our sailboat was leaving at 10 a.m. and we would return at about 5 p.m. At the marina we hopped aboard a golf cart for the ride to the sail boat. What a large marina! It was nice to get the ride; it would have taken almost 10 minutes to walk. Once aboard, owner Ingrid Klich and captain Bill checked to make sure we had a lifejacket for the 9-month-old. I had carted one from Minnesota just for this excursion, and it was a good thing. As in Minnesota, a child needs to wear a lifejacket when in a boat and it has to be Coast Guard-approved. They provided lifejackets for the rest of us, but had none small enough for the baby.

Erin Go Bragh Charters offers personalized day, overnight and longer term-charters to the lovely Caribbean Spanish (Puerto Rico, Vieques, Culebra), U.S. and British Virgin Islands aboard the 50-foot Gulfstar Ketch the Erin Go Bragh III. Trips include sailing, snorkeling, swimming, sightseeing and especially relaxation. We opted for the day trip to Isla Palominos, the island the luxury resort El Conquistador rents for the benefit of its guests. A ferry regularly runs between the resort and the island. There are a number of places to dock off the coast, and it seemed to be a popular place for guides to bring snorkelers.

The view the entire day was breathtaking. Clear, turquoise waters, white beaches and hills falling in to the ocean. Being on a sailboat felt like the perfect way to relax in this Caribbean locale. Jimmy Buffet and Kenny Chesney songs ran through my head all day. The baby fell asleep shortly after we departed, lulled by the waves.

It took us about an hour to get to Isla Palominos. While it was gorgeous, it was the tiny Isla Palominitos next to it that I fell in love with. It is the island I daydream about getting shipwrecked on. Although I didn't swim out to it after lunch with the others because of the baby, I will never forget it. A tiny island, there was just enough white sand and a few palm trees. At one point it was connected to the larger island, but time and sea have washed away the connection. Captain Bill told us about a large wedding he'd crashed once. A public island, the family couldn't close it off. Instead, they invited anyone who boated out to see what was going on to join the feast. With the use of generators, there was lights and music. What a perfect spot to get married.

Ingrid now runs the company, although she regretfully told us she plans to sell it soon. Her husband, Captain Bill Henry, who previously took care of thing, died suddenly last spring. She's not able to keep the boat up herself, and has to hire help now. Being a wood boat, it requires constant maintenance to stave off mold and mildew. It's not like the new plastic boats of today. But oh, it was gorgeous. Ingrid offered a steady stream of information about the island and its people. She previously worked as a professor at the university location on the west side of the island and still owns a house there. She told us that it is always this windy before Christmas, and the locals call them the Christmas winds.

After we docked for the first time, Ingrid went below to make lunch while Bill set up a grill on the back rail to make BBQ chicken and ribs. We each found snorkeling gear that fit and jumped on into the warm water. It was nice that they provided the gear so we didn't have to worry about bringing any. To keep the masks dry, Ingrid rubbed them with toothpaste; I've always used spit before. Once in the water, I hung out with Josey on the yellow life ring. She did not like being in water so deep that even I couldn't touch. After a few minutes, I sent her back in with her daddy so I could snorkel. There were so many beautiful fish to watch. Derek and Jessica took turns jumping off the side of the boat. Jenni staked out a spot on the deck to sun in. Jesse stayed on the benches that were covered. He had nearly stayed at the villa because his sunburn from Culebra the day before was so bad. He was glad I'd talked him into going though. It was his second time snorkeling, and this was a much different experience than at the beach near our villa.

Garett and TJ hung out below while Ingrid make lunch. They were both starving (as usual), and were quick to grab anything Ingrid was willing to share. As she lived on the boat, she had plenty of fruit to snack on. She shared passion fruit with the three of us. Yum. It was fantastic. For the baby, she gave me "nine" bananas: little bananas that are sweeter than regular ones. I've never seen Josey eat so much so fast. As we waited, Ingrid laid out fresh salsa; oh, it was good. For lunch, we dined on BBQ chicken and ribs, rice and beans, a fabulous salad with a little bit of everything, and bread. When were docked at Isla Palominitos, she brought out German fruitcake, which delighted Jessica who is learning German. The cake had been shipped to Ingrid by relatives in Germany. We got a taste of Europe while rocking softly in the Caribbean Sea.

On the way there, Jesse stepped behind the wheel and got a chance to captain the sailboat. On the way back, TJ learned how to tack the sail. It was wonderful that they gave people the chance to learn how to operate a sailboat. I'd recommend Erin Go Braugh Charters to anyone.

Ingrid Klich
Erin Go Braugh Sailing and Snorkling Charters
Puerto Del Ray Marina
787-860-4401
eqbc@eqbc.net
www.egbc.net


Additional photos below
Photos: 62, Displayed: 26


Advertisement

ShadeShade
Shade

Those of us burnt from the day before were grateful for the shade.
Los PalominitosLos Palominitos
Los Palominitos

This spit of land was once connected to Los Palominos
Los PalominosLos Palominos
Los Palominos

This side is privately held.


16th January 2010

Sounds Dreamy!!!
Nice job of story telling and recounting your day on the sail boat. Ahh...to be there now soaking up the sun and the sights.

Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0822s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb