Happy New Year & the Underwater Fireworks


Advertisement
Published: January 1st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Happy New Year to Everyone!! Greetings from Puerto Rico (which interesting enough is not in Central America as my travel blog states, rather is is a commonwealth of the United States)!! At present I am on a small island just east of the main island of Puerto Rico where the weather is blissfully warm and sunny.

Our adventures thus far have been spectacular!! Yesterday we took a 10 seater plane from San Juan to Vieques and saw an awesome arial views of the ocean and lush landscape. After landing we found our inn and took our rented jeep out for some exploration prior to our all-day kayaking adventure.

Yesterday was my first kayaking experience ever, and one I shall never forget! A major source of excitement and anticipation was not only the kayaking but viewing and interacting with the dinoflagellates that are only found in a handfull of places throughout the world. Dinoflagelletes you are asking, what are those? Well, beyond awesome, amazing and magical I can tell you that the particular species found in the Caribbean Ocean where we were paddling glow in the dark!! So as our paddles skimmed the water they activated the microscopic organisms. When they become agitated they release energy in the form of light...so our fingers flickered as though they had fire flies dancing and fluttering about...a magical experience of underwater fireworks. And now we both believe we have supernatural powers...so stay tuned for that!! And what a grand way to say adieu to the old year and welcome in the new. In fact Madeline even aptly wrote "Adios 2007" in the sand on one of the beaches on the island.

To ring in the new year we sipped moijitos and reflected upon our magnificent adventure. Could life be any better? Probably not.

Next up snorkeling on the beaches (although Val, how can this possibly compare to the Great Barrier Reef?). Tomorrow we will travel to El Yunque, the only rain forest in the U.S. and then back to San Juan where we will stay with "da people" in our hotel called "Da House" that was touted in the New York Times as being bohemian, urban and affordable. We both have our own uniquely decorated rooms! So fun!

Here's hoping 2008 is full of yet more adventure and fun-filled surpirises! It will be hard for me to surpass the experiences of 2007. Special thanks to all my incredible travelmates this past year: Marina (Peru); Val (Australia); Brenda, Nancy, and Val (Lake Geneva); Chris (Minneapolis); and Madeline!! And it was so great to see Steffi and Thorsten in NYC while seeing Nicki & Anton and Kristi!! I am one lucky chica!!!!

All the best to you for 2008!
Amor from Puerto Rico!

Advertisement



1st January 2008

Enjoy!
What a great message! So much fun! Happy New Year, Wendy!
1st January 2008

Feliz Ano
Your trip sounds wonderful. I'm glad you had a great experience.
2nd January 2008

happy new year!
your trip sounds so wonderful thus far! i've always wanted to go to the phosphorescent pools of vieques. i'll have to check in with you for advice on where to stay and what to do when it actually happens. your accommodations sound amazing. have fun snorkeling and rainforesting (both activities i'm very fond of). watch out for tricky monkeys! here's to a happy, healthy, productive, adventurous 2008! much much love! xo, k
3rd January 2008

dinoflagellates
A new Scrabble word?
5th January 2008

you got it!
good job describing our adventures - your reporting has my official endorsement as All True and just as wonderful as you described :)

Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0413s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb