San Juan


Advertisement
Published: June 23rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Puerto Rico
Capital City is San Juan

Arrived at the dock early in the morning. Processed through customs and released to go ashore. Rounded up our luggage and proceeded to the disembarking process and the bus to take us to our hotel. Arrived at the Marriott Hotel and checked in to a very nice ground floor room overlooking the swimming pool and beach. Weather hot and muggy with nasty looking storm clouds. Being Sunday morning, we located a church about a 5-min walk from the hotel so Marci could attend Mass. The mass was in Spanish but she was able to follow it and enjoyed the experience. After Mass it was back to the hotel for some lunch. We were seated outside in a patio area. Within 10 min after we were seated, it began to rain in a heavy downpour. Fortunately we were under cover and could sit and enjoy the cooling effect and had a nice lunch. After the rain quit, we walked toward “Old Town San Juan” and enjoyed the sights. Returned to the hotel for dinner and a try at the “slots” in the casino.

The next morning we were scheduled to take a tour of “Old San Juan”. Our transportation is a stretch van and difficult to get in and out of. The driver is very nice and does his tour in English and Spanish. We start in the residential area of Isla Verde and then go up the Condado district of “Old Town” to the Fort of San Cristobal. This part of San Juan and the fort date back to the 1600’s. The fort covers a large area and was very interesting to tour. No tour is complete without a stop for shopping and that was next on the list. Heavy Spanish influence in the buildings with overhanging balconies and narrow streets. Traffic is mostly stop with a little go every once and a while. Unlike the States, no one is in a hurry and trying to clear traffic with the horn.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



2nd September 2006

Love this way to share your trip.
This is really neat. I enjoyed your talk about your trip, the history of what you saw and the pics of San Juan. I am going to feel like I'm sharing this anniversary trip to Europe with you and not have to worry about seasickness. Ha!. Will patiently wait til the 9th to start the adventure.

Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 11; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0341s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb