Day 6-Last Day in Puerto Rico


Advertisement
Published: January 19th 2011
Edit Blog Post

On Board the SubwayOn Board the SubwayOn Board the Subway

This subway consisted of 16 stops and the length of the trip one was was roughly 16 mins.
Today is our last day in Puerto Rico and in the morning we rode the “subway” through new San Juan. This railway is much like the DC metro system but on consists of 16 stops. This system also differs because it is computer based and runs on a very strict schedule. The conductor does not run the rail but rather the opening and closing the doors. The computer program adjusts the speed of the train to ensure it arrives to the stations on time and if unable to arrive, another train is dispatched to ensure all passengers are on schedule.
New San Juan is very similar and very different from any main land major city. It has metropolitan like structures, tall towers and offices, but there is no separation of class. The poor live right up against these structures. There is natural vegetation everywhere; basically New San Juan is a premature metropolitan area.
The evening we were given time for ourselves and I headed to the San Sebastian festival and let me tell you, if you are looking for culture huddled in one area, this is it: Art, food, drinking, dancing, performances, music, all in this one festival.

Well Puerto
No class?No class?No class?

There is no evidence of seperation of class here in New San Juan
Rico, I’ve spent an amazing week here and tomorrow I head back. I will never forget my experience and the things I learned here!


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

New San JuanNew San Juan
New San Juan

The metropolitan like structures in New San Juan


Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0357s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb