Leaving San Juan


Advertisement
Published: April 20th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Big ShipsBig ShipsBig Ships

First view of Celebrity Summit from Taxi, showing harbor
19 April 2009.

This is the first full day at sea. The Celebrity Summit is a curious boat; it shimmies and shakes, somewhat like a train on a rough track. Connie says it’s rather like sleeping on a block of Jell-O and having someone move the plate.

Yes, the boat was there. Slipped in during the night or evening before along with another from a different company. From the Condado area to the Pan American pier was a $15 taxi ride.

On one side of a spit of land is a commercial airport, probably and old military field, still used by the Puerto Rico Air National Guard. A new hotel is rising by the entrance to the field where there is also a very nice new convention center. On the other side of the neck of water is Old San Juan. Other cruise lines have docks there, very convenient for visiting the attractions of the city.

Our ship is docked as far inland as it can go. Its bow overhangs anchored sailboat and power yachts. Beyond them is the bridge that carries traffic into the tourist area, the government offices and the old city.

It only
The SummitThe SummitThe Summit

Still from taxi, this view shows proximity of airport
took and hour to get through the boarding. Curiously, all carryon bags were scanned twice—once by governmental types and then on the ship by the cruise lines—I guess they don’t trust the government.

Then, after waiting for staterooms to be opened and going through a abandon ship drill, we joined the people, some familiar from the Cruise Critic web site, by the Mast Bar on the Sunrise Deck - the 11th deck I think, for a drink and to await the departure.In any event, it is the best spot for viewing a port—entering or leaving—as we finally did about 5:30 p.m.

With and attending pilot boat the big ship backed out of its berth and continued backing out of the narrow waterway into the main channel, by the propulsion of a pod system (known for its breakdowns). There was lots of mud being stirred up and I wondered how much good that was doing the pods—oh well—we were on the way.

I recommend departing San Juan by ship. In one long sweeping view as you round the city and El Moro fortress, you can see the foundations of the city—the bones of its construction as a defensive
Sardine timeSardine timeSardine time

Mustering for the "abandon ship" drill.
position on a commanding prominence. This is a view that is not obtainable from the air. There the land is no better than a map. From the sea you see how the lay of land determines the location of ports, the building of forts and the establishment of cities.

Of course, from the air, none of those things matter.

Shipboard life next.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

San Juan PanoramaSan Juan Panorama
San Juan Panorama

A stitch of the old city showing the walls and El Moro fortress
Another viewAnother view
Another view

More of the old San Juan view
Rounding the pointRounding the point
Rounding the point

It's hard to describe the feeling as you reach the sea and see this angle of the fortress


15th July 2009

Are Cruise Ships the same on www.cruiserewards.com
Are Cruise Ships the same on www.cruiserewards.com ? http://www.cruiserewards.com/celebrity/ships/celebrity-summit.htm your photo looked a bit different
15th July 2009

Could be perspective
Unless I misidentified the picture, it could simple be the perspective of the lens I was using that makes it look different.

Tot: 0.115s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0698s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb