Panama - Central America


Advertisement
Panama's flag
Central America Caribbean » Panama
November 30th 2012
Published: December 3rd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Panama

From Cahuita, Costa Rica across the border @ Sixaola to the border @ Carpugana, Columbia via Puerto Obaldia

Sixaola Sixaola Sixaola

Border crossing between Costa Rica & Panama

From Cahuita to David




Saturday 17th Nov 2012

After coffee and breakfast we left (8am) on the bus to the border of Costa Rica & Panama at Sixaola some 52 km away. Arriving there at 10am, I got Bernies backpack out from the locker under the bus and helped her to put it on, as I was getting my backpack out, the bus driver took off leaving me to wrench my pack out onto the ground. The driver still didn't stop and took off down the road with the door still open in the air. After that we headed to immigration standing in line for about 15 mins. Once we got passports stamped for exit we walked along the bridge into the land of Panama.

I gave the Panamanian immigration our passports only to get a response of " where is your flight exit details". I said we are backpacking and exiting to Columbia. He told we cannot enter until we have a ticket. I asked where do we get a ticket from? (with him giving me the gesture of give me money and i will tell you) I Finally found from someone else that you can
Sixaola Sixaola Sixaola

A local shop
get a bus ticket back to San Jose from the ticket shop at the border. Walking down the stairs and over to the ticket booth and paying $ 14 each ticket for a bus back to San José (the very next day only). Went back upstairs handed our tickets (something you are never going to use ) and passports over and got our stamp to enter Panama. After you get a stamp you walk 2 more doors and enter the room to pay an $3 entry fee and you then get a sticker put in your passport next to the stamp. (a must, so make sure they do it).

Once that is over you then get on a shuttle bus for a 1 hour trip to Almirante. The bus driver dropped us off at the bus depot for David, taking the other people to the boat to Bocas de Toro. We left Almirante at 1pm for a 4 hr trip to David. Arriving at the one and only very big bus depot. We looked at 3 hostels and settled down at The Purple house ( a bit of a walk ) only dorm beds available at that time) ,
DavidDavidDavid

Local cheap food
kitchen, coffee all day, wi fi, fans, lounge, outdoor area (No hammocks but a splash pad if you get hot.) and homely. Andrea is a wonderful host and really takes good care of you. She is a bundle of knowledge. Extras if you need hot water, air cond and towels at a cost.




David




Sunday 18th Nov 2012

Today we decided to go to Boquete to have a look and see what is there. First we booked another 2 nights @ The purple house in a double room that was now available. Then walked to the bus depot and looked for the Boquete bus (easy to find, just look at all the signs hanging from the roof in front of each bus) 1hr 15 min. While driving up the mountain Bernie decided to pull out a couple of balloons to give to the kids to play with on the bus. After a while they finally lost them out of the window. Only a few tears.

Arriving there we headed for the tourist information to see what there was to do. On our way checking prices and looking at hostels. We found
BoqueteBoqueteBoquete

local family
out that really the only thing to do is hiking and the best place to stay is at Hostel Gaia, it has private cabana, hot water, free coffee, communal kitchen and everything looked new. $ 23 / n. By now we were getting hungry so we went to eat at Central Café where the menu starts from soups @ $1 .50 to $3.50 for meals. Bernie had chicken and mash potato while I had pork and mash.

After lunch we had a walk around town taking in the scenery and some photos. Boquete is a small community with volcanoes and large mountains surrounding it. There is 3 to 4 hikes to do and you can do a volcano sunrise tour that leaves at midnight. you climb to the top before sunrise and you get back @ aprox 11 am. Long day.

Returning back to David around 4 pm. Going to the supermarket to get some beers we noticed how cheap that groceries were here. Purchasing Beer cans @$0.49c, Smirnoff cans $0.89c,( bargain) and 2 minute noodles $0.25c for tea. At night swapping stories and places to visit with other guests. We were going a stay a few days
Panama CityPanama CityPanama City

Our view from the bus.
after David but we had our time in Panama cut short so we didn't get back.





Monday 19th Nov 2012

We spent today updating some clothing and sandals, getting things fixed that needed repairing, and even saw a movie ( Que esperar cuando se esperar).

We went to Air Panama to see if there was any flights to Puerto Obaldia in Dec, but there was none until mid Jan 2013, we asked them to check Nov and they found 2 tickets available for 29th Nov so we booked them. (hence our trip in Panama being cut short).

Afterwards walking around David. It is a big city but not much to see.So this gives you a good chance to catch up on things. We found a nice place for lunch on the south side of Central Park called Multi Café where choose your lunch from bainmaries starting from $2 - $3.00.


Panama City




Tuesday 20th Nov 2012

We left the Purple House for our trip to Panama City by taxi to the bus depot. Purchased our tickets to Panama City for a departure @ 9 am. Some
Panama CityPanama CityPanama City

one of their wonderful coloured chicken buses
how I managed to get tickets for the front seats of the bus, 15 min before departure on a full bus. Go figure. When we left, some people complained about the air cond not working, and that you couldn't open the windows. The driver stopped and tried unsuccessfully to fix it. Another bus was called. Guess what, a double decker arrived and we still had front seats. What a fantastic view. There isn't much scenery though until you get about an hour from Panama City and then you start to see the ocean and huge resorts being built.

Arriving in Panama City at 4 pm and got a taxi to Hostel Mamallena in the suburb of Perejil. The only thing available was dorm beds, pancake breakfast included, free tea & coffee, wifi and good free information.



Wednesday 21st Nov 2012

After sorting out 2 more nights accommodation in a room and our pancake breakfast we headed for a walk to the foreshore ( good views of the new City on the left and the old city on the right.) and then walking along the foreshore went to Casco Viejo. They started building here in 1673
Panama CityPanama CityPanama City

An old building being restored.
and this is the 2nd oldest part of the city. There is so much work and renovations happening around the area. They are spending millions of dollars fixing houses that we would bulldoze down in Australia and making them look new. We spent hours just looking around and taking numerous pictures of old and new buildings. A must to do is visit the Museo del Canal Interoceanico $2 entry fee and $3 more if you want Audio guide.

After that we visited Albrook Mall by bus from Casco Viajo. This place is also worth a look as it is huge and just keeps going on and on. If your hungry there is ample places to eat at. Another tip is buy a metro card for the bus much easier than chicken buses and same price. You can put whatever you want on the card and use it anytime

Panama is in the process of doing a lot of extensions.

1. Putting a new wider pass in the canal @ Gaton lock hopefully finishing buy 2014 for the 100th year anniversary. Cost 5.2 Billion

2. Putting in a new rail system under the city and to the
Panama CityPanama CityPanama City

Inside Albrook mall
airport and surrounding suburbs.. And eventually under the canal to the other side.

3. Renovating the old city of Casco Viejo.

4. Building a new viaduct in the ocean linking Ave Balboa with Chorrillo going around Casco Viejo.

5. Building a new international airport near the resorts at Cocle to entice people to fly direct to the all inclusive resorts without having to sit in traffic for an hour and a half to get there from the current airport..

They want to entice a lot more tourists to their country.

Thursday 22nd Nov 2012

5.30 am rise to catch a taxi to the train station. We went to Colon via train & 1 hour. Suggestion do not do this it is a waist of money. You do not see much. Take the bus it is a lot cheaper. When we got there we took a taxi to Esclusas De Gatun ( Gaton lock). Magnificent!!!! We spent 2 hours watching ships being raised and lowered through the locks. Best to get there in the morning as they do the big boats before lunch and then the little ones after 5 and in the night. Your
ColonColonColon

Arriving into Colon From Panama City
driver waits for you and takes you back into town and the bus station. We started looking around Colon near the bus station but felt uncomfortable, very old and run down city. So we caught the bus for 2 hours back to panama City. Shame as it is a very old town and a lot of old run down buildings.


The Gaton locks: These days they do an average of 35 vessels a day with the average cost of $135, 000 / vessel. They are charged by the weight of the vessel and have to pay 48 hours before they enter the locks. They can only pay by electronic deposits. They can be no wider than 106 feet (32.3 m) and no longer than 965ft ( 294.1m)

We watched 6 vessels go through the locks, some of these were:

1. Maersk with 4,500 containers on board. Max width allowed 106 ft. x 965 ft. long, weighing 44,000 ton and paid $356,000.

2. Texas highway a 55,000 ton car carrier from Japan, 655 ft. L x 106 W and paying $236,000.

3. Nyk DaeDallas 48,000 ton,4937 container ship, 964 L x 106 W and
Gaton LocksGaton LocksGaton Locks

2 Container carriers side by side
paid $389,000

4. Ym Portland 44,723 ton 4,269 containers ship, paying $330,000.



The Panama canal opened on August 15, 1914, and has seen over 1mil vessels pass.





Kuna Yula.( San Blas)



Friday 23rd Nov 2012

After our 4.30am wake up call and having a quick coffee we start to make our way to San Blass islands. There is around 365 small islands amongst them, so choosing one is very difficult. We were able to leave our backpacks at the hostel so we only took small day bags. After having the hostel organise the accommodation @ Robinsons Cabins and transport the night before. Leaving at 5.30 am we headed to San Blass (Kuna Yula district) stopping at a small shop for coffee and breakfast at around 7am. On the way you pay $6 road tax and $3 land tax when you get to the boats. It was pouring with rain when we arrived so they give you a rubbish bag to put your bags in , for you, bad luck you get wet. The driver started and we got about 40 mtres when the motor stalled. While trying to
San BlasSan BlasSan Blas

Our own island for 3 days
get it restarted he broke the starter cord, now this is Panama. No tools he rowed us back to the start where we had to wait for another 45 minutes whilst they fixed it. Finally getting going and arriving at Robinsons Cabins at about 11.am.

It is a very small private island with a few cabins on it. Don't expect the Hilton. You get a bamboo hut with one sheet on the mattress no windows ( but plenty of gaps in the bamboo walls),no fan, hot water, flushing toilet, power, blanket or 2nd sheet. If you want any of these then bring your own. You do get 3 good meals a day. Great people and a free boat ride to another island, but be prepared to pay $2 to go on any island you visit. If you want to take photos anywhere then be prepared to pay for them, especially of people.



Saturday 24th Nov 2012

Today was a lazy day just enjoying the beach and water, until 1 pm when we were taken to another island called Isla Estrella.$2. We went swimming with several star fish in nice calm clear waters. Then back to
San BlasSan BlasSan Blas

Bernie and her ballons
Robinson to enjoy the rest of the day. Burnie loaded up her purse with money and went to buy bracelets and to take some photos of the families.



Sunday 25th Nov 2012

After having a bath in the sea and then breakfast we started to go back to Panama City. We were supposed to leave at 8am but it was raining so we had to wait for it to pass. At 8.30 we left the island by boat $10 having very rough seas and getting very wet by the waves. Arriving at the boat dock at 9.45, then having to wait until they organise transport. Tip don't be in a hurry. 11 am we finally left for the city arriving back at hostel Mamallena at 1.15 pm. We checked in for 4 nights and had a nice long cold shower for first one in 2 days.






Panama City 2nd visit



Monday 26th Nov 2012

Today we went to Panama Viejo, from the hostel walk to Ave Balboa and get a chicken bus there. Metro bus doesn't go there. We started our day looking thru the museum. Then walking
San BlasSan BlasSan Blas

Now this is paradise
around the old ruins. You can go up the old cathedral and have nice views of the ruins and new panama. The spanish started to build here in 1519 and some sites are still visible today.

After this we went to the movies to see the last saga of twilight.





Tuesday 27th Nov 2012

We went to see Miraflores locks. Leaving the hostal and getting the bus to Albrook station, then walking right to the end of the ticket windows (door 12) landing #64 purchase a $1 card to get through the turnstyle and onto the bus for Miraflores. When we arrived walking for 10 min to get to the locks. You can pay $5 for veiwing the locks only or $8 for locks, museum and theatre. This lock is very overcrowded by people and you don't get as good a veiw and feeling about them as you do in Gaton locks.

The locks: There are 3 locks that make up the canal , Miraflores & Pedro Miguel lock is the first of 2 on the Pacific side and Gaton is the only one on the Caribbean side. There is 2 lanes
Panama CityPanama CityPanama City

Miraflores lock
in each lock and raises (or lowers )up the 26m to the Gaton lake. Using fresh water from the lake each lock transfers 197 mil litres of fresh water in 8 min thru chambers alongside each lock , there are no pumps it is all gravity force.

The new locks being built will allow bigger vessels thru and is only one lock wide. Each lock will be 427m L x 55m W the size of 4 football fields.





Wednesday 28th nov 2012



Today was a bum around and packing for our flight tomorrow. In the afternoon we went to the movies again to see Skyfall, the latest bond movie. $2.25 cheap Wednesday. Normally only $4.50 anyway. sooo cheap to see a movie in Panama.

See ya all in Colombia.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.183s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0486s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb