Panama Land and Water - Friday 2010 February 12


Advertisement
Panama's flag
Central America Caribbean » Panama » Panamá
February 12th 2010
Published: November 1st 2015
Edit Blog Post

Open-canopy RainforestOpen-canopy RainforestOpen-canopy Rainforest

Panama's most valuable resource to sustain the canal
Our early departure at 8:00 was to improve our bird watching opportunity and to arrive at the beach resort, Playa Blanca, in time for lunch.

The bird watching was a big success. A naturalist joined us at Summit Park, about an hour’s drive inland. Another 15 – 20 minutes and we arrived at the Pedro Miguel locks (where we had started our Canal cruise). Just past the locks was the Pipeline Road, originally built by the US as a secondary way of shipping fuel in case of shutdown of the Canal - never happened. About 150 yards down the road, the bus stopped; we walked another 150 yards and commenced bird watching. It was so odd to think exotic birds would be flitting around this bit of industrial road – but they were.

This was my first bird watching experience, and I really enjoyed it. Several people plus the naturalist were knowledgeable, and they helped the rest of us. The naturalist himself was thrilled because of all the sightings and the rarity of some of the species. Myself, I noted about a dozen birds, none of which I had seen before – except perhaps the heron. A few posed long enough
HeronHeronHeron

Well, one photo turned out!
for still photos, and several hung around long enough for the binoculars.

After about an hour of low-key excitement in the heat, we got on the bus again. Travelling from north (Colon) towards the south (resort and Panama City), I could see more and more prosperity. A lot of housing developments have been built along the highway for “the workers”, as Pedro calls them. A lot more middle class industry is evident: nicer stores, building supplies, etc.

Our resort is very modern, stylish, all inclusive, designed on an international scale – which means you don’t really know you are in Panama. Still it was relaxing to walk along the beach after a large lunch (for me mostly fish). Then I went poolside for swimming, reading and margarita-drinking. Joyce sat out on the beach and watched life. Now we are trying to work up an appetite for dinner by writing and reading. Later tonight there is “Broadway Show”.

View map across Panama.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Playa BlancaPlaya Blanca
Playa Blanca

Most beautiful R&R!
Playa BlancaPlaya Blanca
Playa Blanca

Birds fish here too
Royal PalmRoyal Palm
Royal Palm

Startling fruit!


3rd November 2015

Exercise
Yes, I, too, find that writing and reading spark my appetite. Actually, so does just sitting and thinking. Great to hear about the birds!
9th November 2015

Birder
I expect great photos of birds from you. Mine were an orgy of fuzziness, but I enjoyed trying to capture them photographically.

Tot: 0.638s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 35; qc: 145; dbt: 0.1928s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb