Melting in Panama


Advertisement
Panama's flag
Central America Caribbean » Panama » Chiriquí » David
December 4th 2015
Published: December 4th 2015
Edit Blog Post

We continue to explore this busy and lively city.

Panamanians are a boisterous bunch with all their fiestas. Last week end it was yet an other independence celebration, this time from Spain. There was music and dancing with firecrackers and fireworks going off all day and late into the night. Of course parades of chanting and dancing crowds as well as marching bands. They are big on drums here. I can't get over how they march for miles carrying these drums in this heat.

We are joining the expat or as they are called, the gringos community. We enjoyed a lovely American Thanksgiving dinner at Hotel David. This is by far the best meal we have had here and the prices continue to be very affordable. The room was full, there are quite a number of Americans and Canadians living in PanamA.

Yesterday, we joined a smaller number of gringos, for a fish dinner in Pedregal. We ate outside by the water in the heat. My meal of seafood pasta was good but those who chose fried fish were disappointed. The company was pleasant with mostly Americans and one couple from Mississauga Ontario.

We stay at our condo most days reading and relaxing by the pool and venture into the city after 3:00 when the temperature gets down below 40 degrees with the humidex factor. They tell us it will get hotter still, it is already in the mid 40 s with the humidex. Our neighbours can't believe we venture out in this heat. It isn't that bad, we take a facecloth to keep the perspiration out of our eyes, as the locals do. This is the dry season so no rain in the evening anymore.

I am taking an interactive online Spanish course called Duo Lingo. I have been working at it for a week and it says I am 3 percent bilingual. I guess they mean if I'be retained everything I learned. Some expats have been here for years and have no intention of learning the language. It is difficult to learn at an advanced age.

We are planning a trip to Bocas Del Toro for a few days next week so more on that when we get back.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.224s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0731s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb