Don't eat the little red frogs


Advertisement
Published: June 21st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Close upClose upClose up

Hey Mon!
On the Island of Isla Bastimentos live these tiny, adorable frogs. Actually, these frogs live in different spots throughout Panama, yet on every island the frogs can be found in only a couple of variations in color. The colors found on Bastimentos are mostly red and orange, but white, blue, and brown can be found as well. Tony and I went for a walk to a cemetary on Bastimentos, about ten minutes up the path from Tio Tom's, to go searching for the little guys. We were told they were easy to spot by listnening to their call, yet we had a difficult time spotting them at first because we were listening for the wrong sound. We almost gave up, but were lucky to spot one on a tree on our way out of the cemetary. We were surprised to find out that they actually make a rather loud ribbit, considering they are no larger than a quarter dollar. After we knew what to listen for, we found these guys hanging out in the trees all over the place. One thing I should mention, these frogs are poisonous, so look and touch but do not eat!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Produce stand-Caribbean StyleProduce stand-Caribbean Style
Produce stand-Caribbean Style

On the way to frogs we spotted this produce stand. Check out the scale hanging in the tree.
GraveyardGraveyard
Graveyard

This is the graveyard on a hill above the ocean where the red frogs seem to like to stay.
Two frogs climbingTwo frogs climbing
Two frogs climbing

These two may have been a mating pair.
Frog activityFrog activity
Frog activity

The red frog is in the middle of a ribbit.


21st June 2006

Hey guys it looks like the fun continues. Can't wait to see you both. We are off. Talk through internet cafe's this week. Love, Mom
21st June 2006

a relative
do they make a call that sounds like "ko key" love to you both
21st June 2006

cool frogs
Wow, frogs have nice wardrobe. i want a suit that look like those frogs. cool!

Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0483s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb