Jamaica 3


Advertisement
Jamaica's flag
Central America Caribbean » Jamaica » Runaway Bay
February 16th 2023
Published: February 28th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Tuesday 7 February



Another good night's sleep.



Nothing planned for today, so we had a slow start. Ambled off to Orquidea for breakfast.



My current favourite breakfast is cheese & onion omelette, from the egg station prepared at your request. Followed by one pancake covered in syrup.



After breakfast we went through the reception area. The second week of our cruise would have started today. The ship is back in operation and some people are transferring to the ship. This is not an option for us due to us cancelling the whole thing and taking a different holiday.



A guy in the bar last night, who had done the same as us, said they had spoken to TUI to try and get back on the cruise, but TUI said No.



Then off to the beach to get some sun.



We went off to the farthest point, just before the nude beach. Found a couple of sunbeds. Paddled and sunbathed.



Lunch in the beach restaurant and back to the room.



Our evening meal was in the Picasso Restaurant at 7 pm. The restaurant is Mediterranean themed.



The experience was enjoyable and we both had the Chef special for our main course, beef, mine was well cooked and Pat's was medium rare. Both as requested.



We stopped in the sports bar on the way back to the room for a coffee and some people watching.



Wednesday 8 February



Yesterday, we received an email from TUI confirming that we would receive some compensation for our cruise cancellation. We have already received a full refund of everything we paid, which was paid within a few days.



The compensation amount is £100.00 each, via bank transfer and £200.00 each discount voucher off a future holiday.



A further email arrived this morning and details of our bank account etc. have been provided. Payment said to be within 14 days.



Another reasonable night's sleep. Rain through the night and this morning.



Usual breakfast in Orquidea.



Plan for some pool time today. Pat did some laundry in the room and sent some off in a bag for the hotel laundry.



We went to leave but it was raining again, so held back for a while.



Eventually went out and settled by the pool. However, after not to long, another black cloud came over and this time was a heavy downpour. We moved under shelter and made our way back to the room.



Lunch was in the beach restaurant.



After a quiet afternoon we had dinner in the Orquidea and then coffee in the Sports bar.



Thursday 9 February



A noisy night, but slept otherwise.



Rained in the night and on the way to breakfast in Orquidea.



Decided on another walk around the hotel. Ambled along and took in the sights. Managed, just under 4 km's. With a short stop in the sports bar for a drink.



Back to the room and the maid was cleaning the room, so headed off to lunch in the beach restaurant to keep out of the way.



Dinner in the Knife restaurant, which we can see from our room.



The theme of the restaurant is meat. Kind of like a TGI Fridays. I had a slow cooked brisket and Pat had filet mignon. Mine was chewy and Pat's was tough. Service was okay, but another disappointing meal.



We stopped in the sports bar for a drink and listened to the steel band.



Friday 10 February



Good night's sleep. Rain again in the night.



Breakfast in Orquidea. Egg station had a long queue, so scrambled eggs and bacon today.



A morning by the pool. We kept out of the direct sun but still managed to catch the sun a little.



Lunch at the beach restaurant.



Our evening meal was in the Asian Oriental Takara. An Asian fusion themed restaurant.



This meal was a success and both of us enjoyed our choices. Pat was a little wary, because she is not keen on spicy or peppers, but finished all on her plate.



Saturday 11 February



Awake a little earlier, after a good night's sleep. Decided on an earlier breakfast to try and beat the 9 am crowd. The Orquidea was just as busy. So, scrambled eggs and bacon again today.



It is so easy to overeat here. The vast array of buffet choice food, tempts you to overfill your plate multiple times. We are eating three meals a day and more food than we should, but our lunch now mainly consists of salad and we have tried to reduce the sheer volume of food that we eat. There is a compromise between being on holiday, enjoying the food, and sheer gluttony.



Lunch at the beach restaurant.



TUI app now shows our coach transfer time at 13.20 to the airport.



Dinner was at the Rodizzio 7 pm. A Brazilian food style.



The restaurant in situated within the grounds of the luxury adult only hotel on the other side of the resort.



The restaurant is essentially self service. You help yourself to a starter. Then, the sides for your main course. At your table you have a card with a red and green side. When you are ready for meat you show the green side and staff appear at your table with meat on skewers, which is sliced off and put on you plate. The meat choices were, chicken, pork, lamb, beef, salmon and sausages. So the whole range. When you have had enough you show the red card.



After the meal, we wandered to the Sport's bar and watched some of the Women's T20 cricket.



Sunday 12 February



Some nosy neighbours didn't help with sleeping, but got off eventually.



Breakfast in Orquidea, back to the cheese & onion omelette today. Popped to see Sheldon the TUI rep in the vestibule, check in will be at the airport.



Another amble was our plan and to do it in reverse. We managed to squeeze in 3.5 km's. We walked slowly, spending time to look at things. Noticed a lot more wildlife, especially seeing a lot more fish in the water.



Lunch in the beach restaurant.



Evening meal at 8 pm, in the Picasso, our last restaurant reservation.



We decided on a drink before our meal, as we were eating slightly later and went to the Sports's bar. This was full of Americans watching the Superbowl.



Another lovely meal in the Picasso.



Monday 12 February



A good night's sleep. Breakfast in Orquidea. Managed to get an omelette.



Pat wanted a beach morning, we headed to our usual spot, but lots of loungers are reserved – they are not supposed to be – so we went to the pool area, instead.



Lunch in the beach restaurant.



Pat packed during the afternoon.



Note under the door to say settlement of hotel bills is “mandatory” on the day before departure.



We headed to reception and settled the room account. We had some Spa items and a small laundry bill. A look at the shops and purchased a small bag, for Emily at FO travel.



Then into the sports bar. Dinner was in the Orquidea.



Another coffee in the sports bar then to the room.



Tuesday 14 February



Some sleep.



Breakfast in Orquidea and looked around the shops one last time.



Finished packing. Paid the mini bar guy and the maid a tip.



Dragged cases to reception and left them with the concierge. Used the express checkout on the app. Pat had tried for a glass of sparkling wine with breakfast, but none was available, so as we waited to leave she took the opportunity.



I passed over the room key cards to reception and after checking the computer was given a check out slip for when we leave.



Nearer the time, we moved towards the cases. Sophie the TUI rep made an appearance and checked what flight we were on.



The coach arrived and we loaded up. The journey to the airport was uneventful, with the driver trying to give an interesting commentary along the way, to earn his tip.



Checked the bags in and through security. We had booked an airport lounge for when we were due to depart the cruise. This was still in place and even gave us a priority through security.



So we went to the Mobay lounge. Ate some food, drank some drinks.



Flight was announced as delayed by one hour so departure is now due 1840 hrs.



We strolled through the gate about 6 pm.



The flight was not full.



We had a dinner and a breakfast.



Arrived about 8.20. Picked up luggage, through customs and had a successful train journey through to Felixstowe, mostly as per the arranged times.



Actually fell asleep on the train to Ipswich, so shows how tired I was.



Met by Don at Felixstowe station. Dropped him off at his place, picked at some milk at the Spar shop and off to Mary's.



A minor bit of unpacking and showered. Slept for a short while, then finally settled down at 9 pm.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.457s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 59; dbt: 0.2362s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb