Doing it the Jamaican way


Advertisement
Jamaica's flag
Central America Caribbean » Jamaica » Negril
March 20th 2014
Published: March 20th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Late last night the hotel lost power around 10.10 pm , so we were unable to make teas and coffees this morning, and the showers we had were only luke warm, but hey this is Jamaica and acceptable.

We thought we may pop over to Ricks Café for breakfast today, but were told by our hotel that it did not open until 12.00 midday.

Instead we thought we would have a slow leisurely walk towards the village and see how far we got.

After about 2 miles we found a typically Jamaican restaurant and got some breakfast. The other customers were a mixture of locals and tourists.

Whilst there we called the driver that did our journey from the airport, as we want him to take us to Y’S Falls tomorrow for Theresa´s birthday. This conversation was overheard by a local taxi driver on the next table who said he could have done that for us. We explained that tomorrow was booked now, but as we did not have a car we were using the local taxis and would look out for him. We did not expect to see him again, but we were in for a surprise later in the day.

After a leisurely breakfast and some great coffee, we continued the walk to the village, and were really surprised when we reached the post office that we had visited the day before. That was a 4 mile walk we had just completed in 95 degrees temperature and we could have continued if needed.

After a stop for an ice cold milkshake, we headed back to the supermarket for some breakfast bits to last us through the next week. We were thinking that we would probably walk the journey back to the hotel so were careful about what we bought.

As we came out of the supermarket, we were met by the taxi driver we had met earlier. When we told him that we were going to walk back, he said he would only charge us US $5 for the journey back to the hotel. We could not say no to this offer. This experience was soo much better that the last taxi ride we had here.

Dinner out tonight and an earlier night as tomorrow Theresa becomes half a Centurion.

We decided we would visit the world famous Ricks Café which is right across the road from where we are staying. See our next blog for further information on Rick´s.

Advertisement



21st March 2014

Jealous!!
Hi you two! Happy Birthday Theresa - have a great time. Your holiday sounds fab - I'd be too busy enjoying myself to bother with blogging though. Take care of each other. H xxxx
21st March 2014

Have a great day on your 50th birthday xxxx.

Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0256s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb