Taste of Reality


Advertisement
Guatemala's flag
Central America Caribbean » Guatemala
September 21st 2008
Published: September 21st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hola Amigos,

I have now been here for over 2 months, and in that time there has been no kids sent to their adoption families. I can actually only think of one baby who returned to his mom but it was very early on in my time here. The reason that many aren't leaving is because of the corruption scandals a few months that basically put everything on hold.
The home is technically considered a children's home and not an orphanage, which means that kids also come here who are in things like custody battles, or their parents can't properly take care of them, but don't want the kid to go up for adoption. So the kid stays with us until the situation back home gets better. But there are always still a number or orphans who come here.
I have been told that something like 15 kids should be returning to their families within the near future, which i am ecstatic about, but it never dawned upon me how hard it might be to let them sen go. As of now, nobody has left, but possibly by the next time i write a blog that could change drastically. I really don't know, but i am not sure what my reaction is going to be.
Sheryl has really given me some control over activities for the boys. I was told when i got here that the boys are living in a female's world, because they are pretty out-numbered by the amount of girls in the home, as well as the lack of father figures in their lives. I got about 8 boys i watch over, and in the past couple weeks i have started doing things like taking them on walks around the property, watching movies before bedtime, and taking over bathtime. But i have taken a creative approach to the whole thing. A big problem with the boys is that a lot of them wet the bed a lot, so i do things like telling them that if they don't wet the bed the night before, then they can watch the movie the next night. Needless to say, there are some tantrums for those who don't agree with my policy. But as funny as it sounds, i think it has been working.
When we go on walks, i got them on the buddy system so they always have to have the hand of there buddy, which i think teaches them little things like looking out for one another, as well as it makes it easier on me when i need to watch over all of them. 8 boys becomes 4 boys in a sense. It's also ridiculous how much trash i see along the dirt roads on our walks, and i am thinking about starting a little trash pickup every time we go out to clean up the place, and as well instill in their heads that littering isn't good, because it really is a shame to see this beautiful land covered with garbage.
If those 15 kids i mentioned earlier do go back to their homes, my group or 8 can possibly become 3 boys. I know it's selfish to have a little feeling deep down to not want them to go home because i can't be there for them. It's really is tough to in a sense become a parent to a child, just to have them taken away and to be never seen again. It really is in the best interest for everyone to have them go home, but i can't say it's easy for me.

Until Next time,
Brennan

Advertisement



Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0697s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb