Work Work Work!


Advertisement
Published: March 20th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Administering Pinworm MedicationAdministering Pinworm MedicationAdministering Pinworm Medication

Caitlyn, Christi, and Kelli preparing the liquid pinworm medication for the children of Flamenco.
Greetings from Guatemala! We all hope that the snow and cold is treating all of you as well as the sun and heat is treating us!

It has been an incredible journey so far! Monday and Tuesday were very productive work days! Since there was a campus ministry group here last week, there were quite a few student desks that were assembled but that needed painting. The majority of the group painted and beautifully decorated the desks. A few members of our group constructed teacher desks, which were then painted as well. About 20 student desks were completed and 6 teacher desks.

The not-for-profit organization we have started is in the middle of building a school here in Reu. It is located in a very low-socioeconomic part of Reu, Flamenco. Here our group set up a mini-medical clinic Tuesday afternoon. The majority of our group participated in the medical clinic while a few went back to Mami's house (Estuardo's mother) to get all the painted desks and take them to our school in Flamenco.

The children who came to the clinic were first greeted and the medication was explained. Their names and ages were recorded. Then their height
Children at the "Med-Clinic"Children at the "Med-Clinic"Children at the "Med-Clinic"

The members of our group getting the necessary information before administering medication.
and weight were taken. From this information we were able to calculate how much medication to administer. The medication is to prevent pinworms - a common ailment among poverty stricken families here in Guatemala.

We then walked to our school - an incredibly emotional and inspiring moment. Last spring, the school consisted of a few holes dug in the ground. Now there are interior walls, electric capabilities, and the potential for our planned opening next January. It was an honor to be in the school, sitting in the newly completed desks, for worship with Holy Communion in La Escuela de los Santos - The School of the Saints.

Heath note: Everyone's spirits and tempers have been doing quite well, much thanks to the fact that no one has yet fallen victim to the "Guat Squat". Gracias a Dios - Thanks be to God!


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Nuestra Escuela - Our SchoolNuestra Escuela - Our School
Nuestra Escuela - Our School

Last year: A bunch of holes in the ground. This year: Our beautiful school!


Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0583s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb