My first futbol game


Advertisement
Published: June 2nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

I was invited to go to a futbol game with a couple of people from school Wednesday night. Xela was playing against the municipal team from Guatemala City in the semifinals.

We decided to all meet at the school at 5 pm, and walk together as a group to the stadium. The actually game would not start until 8 pm, but we wanted to be there early. It was me and four other girls (the guys never showed) coincidentally all from the midwest (Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois and Minnesota). We made it to the stadium at 5:30, and bought our tickets for Q50 ($6.25). We could have have paid Q40 if we had waited in line for 45 minutues, but decided to do the mercado de negro way (black market) and buy it from the guy on the street.

We knew that it was general seating, (for the wing that we were in) so as we ascended the staircase we saw that 2/3 of the seating was still available. However, the available seats were being "reserved." People were taking pieces of plastic (like garbage bags) and reserving the spots for their friends that were coming later (say in 2 hrs). After 10 minutes we became tired of looking and couldn´t find anything that was not reserved. It was then we made a group decision, we decided we had to be assertive and do something.

We ascended the stairs (while wading through people) and sat down in a partially "reserved" section. The guys looked at us, and told us that it was reserved for their friends. We said that we would move when their friends came, and proceeded to sit squished together (us 5 girls as to not take up a lot of room). To make a long story short, everything got sorted out and nothing bad happened. The guys that we were sitting next to turned out to be pretty cool and taught us some of their chants. In the end, the guys had enough room and there was enough room for the five of us and then some.

The game itself was exciting, with Municipal scoring the first goal, but Xela scored soon after. At halftime, the score was tied 1 to 1. In the second half, Xela scored their second goal withing the first 20 minutes, and Xela won 2 to 1. The second game is this Sunday in Guatemala City. Then the championships will follow.

I enjoyed watching the game, eventhough it rained the entire time we were there. The stadium is not covered, so everyone was soaked. I will never forget standing in the stands and being apart of something so important to so many people. There was a sense of unity and it did not matter if you were rich, poor, Guatemalan or non; it did not matter. We were all wet, cold, hungry; but everyone wanted to be there watching a sport that so many love.

The start of the game was really cool; all the players were on the field and people in the stands were tossing fireworks, waving flags, throwing confetti (cut up newspaper), jumping and singing. It was very magical and exciting.

At halftime, the police came out with shields and escorted the refs off the field. Plenty of remarks were said to the refs and opposing players during the game.

Climbing down the stands was pure chaos and exiting the poorly made exits was even worse. I can see how people would be trampled to death. We all made it out safely and made it home safe and sound. We were sopping wet and cold, but happy.

Thank you for your comments and support. Till next time.

Advertisement



7th June 2006

lucky
im a huge fan of the superchivos and am extremely jealous of you! oh how i miss my beloved xelaju!

Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0382s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb