Philip Johnny Bob and Turkey Day


Advertisement
Published: December 4th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Happy belated Turkey Day!

What a fun time we had during Thanksgiving week. Our good friend, Phil, came to visit us, and we lived it up. First, some backgroung on our friend, Phil. To begin with, we will no longer refer to him in this blog as Phil, but as Philip Johnny Bob. Why you may ask? Because we are huge fans of a children's book series called Junie B. Jones. Junie B. Jones is a hysterical first grader who has a pet stuffed elephant named Philip Johnny Bob. They are great friends, and because we are great friends with our friend Philip he is now Philip Johnny Bob or PJB for short. (By the way, our friend Philip is not an elephant). We met Philip Johnny Bob this summer when we were all studying at Celas Maya. We all hit it off immediately. PJB found a good price on a plane ticket over Thanksgiving break, so he came back down to Guatemala to study more spanish and hang out.

We spent the week laughing at each other, making paper snowflakes (a must during the holiday season), hiking mountains, eating at our favorite café in Xela, Maya Café, and
Hard at WorkHard at WorkHard at Work

Drew and Philip cutting out snowflakes.
riding down huge cement slides on scraps of cardboard. Just a sidenote--the slides work better with the cardboard. My pants are proof of this fact. Hmmm.

On Thanksgiving with the other 30 or so students we made an enormous Thanksgiving dinner. The plan was for about 40 people at the dinner. 65 showed up. You know how one of the best parts of Thanksgiving dinner is the leftovers?. . .We don't. But what fun! We cooked a 25 pound turkey and six chickens, 20 pounds of mashed potatoes, carrots galore, pumpkin pie, stuffing and more, all without recipes. It was insane. If you can believe it, the food was amazing!!!

Thanksgiving night, after the dinner, I sang for a couple hours at El Cuartito, the café I do gigs at most weeks. It was fun to start singing Christmas songs. In our opinion folks should sing Christmas songs all year, but we're a little wierd that way. We also normally set up our Christmas tree on Halloween. You should see the looks on the kids faces when they knock on our door to trick or treat and see a winter wonderland in our house. HAH!

Later that
SnowflakesSnowflakesSnowflakes

Our Christmas decorating.
same night, Philip Johnny Bob surprised us with a gift. He bought us a little christmas tree along with lights and ornaments. We set it up right away. That lasted us well into the morning after Thanksgiving. What a fun day!

At the end of the week we sadly had to say goodbye to PJB. Fortunately we will get to spend a couple days with him when we get fly back to the states in January. We hope you enjoy this blog, our tribute to good friends, Thanksgiving, concrete slides, and of course, christmas trees.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Christmas TreeChristmas Tree
Christmas Tree

A wonderful gift from our friend Philip.


7th December 2007

snowflakes
Wow those look beautiful, what a great idea. Gotta hand it to Phil for taking a lowcost carrier again, even after the summer delay!!!

Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0818s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb