What I Am Thankful For


Advertisement
Published: November 30th -0001
Edit Blog Post

Hello Friends,
Drew and I made it back to Xela in one piece! Thank you so much for your prayers, thoughts, and comments since our last blog. I can´t tell you enough how much it means to have those, especially when things aren´t going so well. Once we made it to Patricia´s Bed & Breakfast where Drew wrote the last blog from, I´ve been thinking a lot about how the whole situation went down. I must admit that while it was all happening I was so frusterated with the timing. I was frusterated that I was so sick in the first place, but that I started getting sick just a couple hours after we left for a four day trip. I fell into tears a couple times during the day we were trying to find our way around Gautemala City because I simply felt so horrible and hopeless...I never thought the day would be over. As I´ve had a few days to look back over the situation, here are some of the things during the course of the weekend that I am extremely grateful for.

First, I´m grateful that I got sick before we left Guatemala City. After leaving there, the trip was an 8 hour, through the night, trip without hitting any big towns along the way. If the illness would have hit a bit later, we would have been in the wildreness of Guatemala without a lot of resources. Second, the taxi driver that dropped us off at the doctors clinic ended up taking us to a place that had a Gastrointernist specialist.

The doctor that I saw had been to conferences all over the world including Japan and New York. He also spoke English. He and the nurses were so kind and gentle, and went above and beyond to help me feel comfortable and to figure out what was going on. During the visit, Drew and I had to go downstairs to get my blood drawn and when we returned the waiting room was filled with people. Still, they let us come back in and wait in an empty office. It just so happened that the Doctor´s wife was a dentist and had an office with his. She was not in that day, so Drew and I occupied that room while we waited for the blood work. I got to sit in a dentist´s chair instead of the waiting room! I think Drew mentioned in the last blog that we didn´t have enough cash on us at the time to pay for the doctor visit. We didn´t take much with us since we were counting on being with the group. The doctor actually let us leave and told us that we could return with the payment after we were able to go to an ATM. Drew said that the receptionist was a bit surprised when he showed up with the money.

After the doctor´s visit we walked down the road to a hotel, which ended up having no empty rooms. But, we were able to sit down for a little bit so that Drew could eat breakfast. I hadn´t had anything to eat or drink since the night before because I wasn´t even able to keep water down, so I think that I was pretty dehydrated. I asked the waitress if they had chicken soup, which she said they didn´t. It was only about 10:30, and lunch was not served until noon. Here is the cool part-- she could see that I was in pretty bad shape and she ended up going to the kitchen and ordering me a specially made chicken soup that she didn´t charge us for.

Finally, we were able to locate the Bed & Breakfast and make it there. They happened to have a room available for both nights, and we were actually able to stay in the same room as we had previously. It was so comforting to be in a place that was familiar and safe, and to know that we didn´t have to relocate again for a couple days. It was a great place to recover.

The group picked us up again on their way through Guatemala City, and I got a round of applause when I got on the bus! I am so grateful to that group of people. Everyone was so helpful and caring that first leg of the trip and no one ever got frustrated that we had to keep stopping. One new friend in particular, named Emily, just walked up and gave me big hug during the time that I was feeling the worst... I can´t explain how much a simple hug from a then stranger meant at that point. Everyone was genuinely concerned for me and made it known in their actions and words.

The last stop of the trip that we were able to participate in after being picked up was a visit to Antigua. I was feeling well enough to walk around and enjoy the beautiful weather and the amazing restaurant that we ate a private outdoor breakfast at. Drew and I hung out with Emily, and enjoyed the city.

Finally, I am so grateful to Drew. He hung in there with me the whole time, reassuring me and keeping me safe and as comfortable as possible. Our new friend, Emily, actually told us later that she was so impressed by the love and patience that Drew showed me. She got teary-eyed telling us about how beautiful it was to her. I feel the same way. I am married to a man who loves me dearly in ugly, scary and hard situations. I was blown away (but not surprised) by the love and care that came from him this weekend, and that I´ve seen this entire trip. Thank you, Drew.

So, this is a blog to say thank you to all the people that helped and cared for us over the weekend. Many I will probably never see again. Also, a huge thank you to all of you that prayed, and to Jesus, who never left our sides.

Many Blessings,
Sarah

Advertisement



8th August 2007

survivor!!
Sarah, your kindness and genuine warmth speak for themselves... and I meant what I said about the two of you and your love. I know that light will continue to shine on you both as you continue this epic adventure. I look forward to our paths crossing again, as I know they will!!!!

Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 56; dbt: 0.069s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb