More Guatemala


Advertisement
Published: December 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hola,

The hike to the volcano was very cool. Maybe about a 6 kilometer hike so not to tough. It was for some of the others since the first couple of K are quite steep. Theres lots of guys standing by the trail with their donkeys calling out "taxi" waiting for the broken and fallen. One of the ladies in our group ended up having to take one. You finally get to the foot of the volcano and the last half K up to the lava flow is over lava rock. You can feel the warmth of the lava underneath your feet. Some peoples soles started to melt a bit. The rock is very uneaven and sharp. Lot of casualties. Bloody knees and elbows. Very surealistic though. Felt like Frodo in the end of Lord of the Rings. We hung out by the lava maybe a half hour till it got dark then put on our flashlights and made the hike back in the dark. Great way to spend an evening.

2 days in Antigua was enough. Its a pretty busy little town and wanted something more relaxing. Caught a bus to Panajachel yesterday. Its on a big lake not far from Antigua. The scenery was great. Although a little difficult to concntrate at times becuase of nasuea. I found that rally car driving in a mini bus through high winedy mountain passes is not good for my stomach. Need to see if I can find some Guatemalan gravol.

Met a Finnish guy on the bus and we decided to share a room a couple of days becuase its cheaper. So we got a nice place here for about $9 / 65:-. Met a few othe people and went out for some beers last night. Saw a great live band. Played everything from latin music to latin versions of the Police to Nirvana. Theres some kind of festival here tonight so we´re going to stick around for that then catch a boat over to another village on the lake for a couple of days.

Sorry no pics yet. Maybe next time.

Don





Advertisement



8th December 2007

Hi Frodo
Just what you wanted, melted shoes, donkey taxis amd nausea, sounds about right. Glad you made it over in good shape. Great price for a room how much are the beer? Were covered in snow right now. Pics would be fantstic. This is a great site. Later Don

Tot: 0.035s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0189s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb