Days 14-17, Semuc Champey


Advertisement
Published: September 29th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Arriving in Semuc Champey from Flores involved two buses and one ride in the back of a pick up truck. Standing on the back of the truck seemed pretty fun to start with, despite the crazy bumps in the road, but after half hour of gripping for dear life on the steepest roads (up and down) I have ever experienced, arriving at Utopia was literally like arriving in paradise.

I can't rave about this hostel enough, set close to the river, about 8km from Lanquin, the nearest village, and 3km from the Semuc Champey Park. The hostel is basically a massive wooden hut, with beautiful views, everything made from local wood, delicious meals and the most chilled out atmosphere ever. Each morning I woke up to stunning views slowly revealing from the clouds just outside, no windows, and fell asleep to the sound of rain on the roof and the jungle outside - heaven!!

If you ever visit Central America you HAVE to visit Guatemala, and if you visit Guatemala you HAVE to visit Semuc Champey, and if you visit Semuc Champey you HAVE to stay at Utopia.

We had been worried that we would arrive in Semuc Champey and find the park closed due to ongoing workers protests (this happened to people we met), but fortunately the park had recently reopened, although the staff were refusing to charge entrance, and just collecting signatures on entry (which worked out well for us!?).

On our first morning, we had decided to go caving at Grutas K'anba, just outside the park but missed the turn and ended up on th climb up to the viewpoint! It was a breathtaking view, certainly worth the slippery and sweaty climb - photos really don't do it justice! After seeing the turquoise pools from above we headed down for a swim before tubing back down the river to the hostel (with only one minor choking on a beer incident...)

The next day we did make it to the caves and were all handed in candle to light our way at the entrance. As I was at the front of the group I actually couldn't see anything some of the time - "just swim a couple of metres" "Um, to where!?!"

The caves were a exhilarating experience, climbing slippery slopes, going behind waterfalls and jumping into black holes by flickering candlelight was definitely more of an adrenaline rush than the ATM caves near San Ignacio. Reaching daylight at the end relatively unscathed felt like a pretty major achievement!

Trekking back for our final night at the hostel (tubing definitely preferable - especially as the sun had decided to make a proper appearance!) we played cards until the lights went out, and I was super sad to leave for Antigua the next morning.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.023s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0386s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb