Semuc Champey


Advertisement
Published: December 14th 2009
Edit Blog Post

It feels almost like we are camping here, out on a ridge in the valley. Today we are heading for Guatamala's paradise. Our guide showed up to pick us up in a pickup truck, so the ten of us jumped in the back. It was a 10km gravel road, crowding locals in for short rides when they could squeeze in. Our guide is a humorous local named Otto who likes joking with us. Our first stop in Semuc Shampey is the caves. They extend over 15km into the mountain and at points we swim. Mainly the water is at stomach level. As we enter with our candles the guide says follow him to be safe (I can tell already that Jeff is not going to follow). The guide takes three steps in and falls into a pit, his head going under water, going to be a great tour. As we make our way through, we climb ladders, scramble through little openings, swim through pools, and jump off ledges. I cut my knee, bashed my head on a rock but had the time of my life. At one point he goes into a tiny crack and just drops into darkness. You hear him splash below and yell at us all to follow. I was thinking there is no way I'm jumping into a black hole with jagged rocks sticking out. But in the end the group was following me so I crawled in and began the free fall. The guide grabbed my head and wrist as I plunged under the water, and pulled me to the surface. It was an insane tour with Jeff at points going ahead and diving off stuff. Finally we ended the cave section all a little sore but super excited. We grabbed some tubes and headed up the river. A rope swing was set up so we all took turns swinging out and jumping. Jeff and I got lucky and got to go again to try tricks. After that we headed to the rapids to start tubing. By this time the tour guide was calling the 5 of us loco (crazy). Being lake kids we went strait to he rapids while the guide started in the calmer water. Justin started us off then we all followed for a bit of excitement. The next part of the tour was a climb to the lakes. We got up to them and were all pretty stunned. I have pictures because words don't do Semuc Shampay justice. There are a series of connected pools and water falls down the valley that end in a 15m drop into the river, which in turn flows down a tunnel under all the lakes. The water temperature in the lakes is super warm and crystal green. We left our stuff at the top and swam/jumped down through the lakes. At the bottom we decided to do the jump. It was really high and sketchy. James hit a rock because he didn't jump far left, but he was alright. The photos for this will show you the height, it was a little scary I will admit. We then climbed/swam back up to get our stuff. The group then walked around and down while Justin, Jeff, and I swam to get another jump. Without the guide it didn't work so well. They all stood below and watched us launch off the waterfall. Jeff went first and hit a rock, not hard enough to hurt though. Justin then went and did alright. I followed and cranked an underwater rock, my bum is really sore but there is no permanent damage other than a bruise. Glad the rock was way under water and I had lost most of the momentum because that could have been bad. We then jumped in the pickup truck to head back to the hostel. It was an absolutely amazing day, we all were talking about how fun it was. The main thing being in Canada it's not possible because of all the safety issues. Down here you are responsible for yourself and it was a great tour. Being tired and sore from a long day we all relaxed in hammocks for the evening, socializing and chilling. There was a meteor storm later in the night so we laid on the grass staring at the sky watching them. What a day! 

Advertisement



Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0319s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb