Day 10 - Semuc Champey


Advertisement
Published: July 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Today was a day of facing many of my fears.

We left for Semuc Champey around 9:30am. We rode in the back of a pick up truck for about 30 minutes to get there.

Once there we ventured through the caves. We were a group of 11 with a guide, wearing only our shoes and bathing suits. The cave was amazing. Also scary.

This cave was much different than yesterday. There were no man made stairs or hung lights. There was also A LOT of water in this cave, and we spent a good chunk of our time swimming with one hand while holding a candle above the water with the other hand. There were lots of climbs on wobbly ladders. There was cliff jumping into water that was only lit by the guide's headlamp (This was optional but I did it). And then a part where you head down a tight squeeze space with water rushing at your back and drop into a pit of water. I'm telling all those who know the move GOONIES... it was like a scene straight out of Goonies. AWESOME.

After the caves (which lasted about 3 hours) we went to a rope swing, swung over the water and then jumped into it. This was also scary and optional but I did it.

Next was tubing down the river. This was relaxing and fun.

Next was jumping from a bridge and into the river. The bridge was abour 8 metres high. This looked VERY scary but I knew I wanted to do. it. After watching 3 of the guys do it, I went for it. I was one of 4 to do it and the only girl. SOOOOO proud!

Next was the Semuc Champey park. We spent about 30-40 minutes hiking up the mountain to the lookout point. SO HARD. This was ALL stairs. Talk about a workout. Getting to the top was worth it though. The view was amazing. So much blue and aqua.

We sat up at the lookout point and ate the sandwiches we packed and then hiked back down the mountain to the water pools we had just admired from above. During this time it was raining which made the stairs (some wood and some rock) VERY slippery!

Once down at the bottom, the sun came out (PERFECT TIMING!) and we chilled out swimming in the water. These natural pools ae fed by water from the mountain. So hard to explain how beautiful this is until you see it. I took some great pics so no worries.

After this was hiking back to the entrance and home time.

GREAT day. Check out this page to see what Semuc Champey is all about. Semuc Champey

Tomorrow I head to Tikal. Another ENTIRE day on the buses. Tikal is the last stop on my trip. Unreal how fast time goes.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



6th July 2007

OH MY!
Bet you slept well on this night. Hey listen, Sarah, I'm thinking about running the Casino Niagara Marathon at the end of October, and after this wonder if you'd like to join me. Be careful. Godspeed, Boo. Love now and always, DAD XXX OOO
7th July 2007

Hi Sarah Glad you are enjoying yourself. This is such a great opportunity for you. I thought having birds land on you was bad enough but having bats fly all around is too much. I agree with Uncle Dave. I am so looking forward to seeing you. A week tomorrow and you will be comming home.Love Auntie Barbara

Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0541s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb