Happy St James' Day!


Advertisement
Published: July 26th 2015
Edit Blog Post

The 25th of July is not an average day in Antigua apparently. Today the entire town celebrated Saint James, all day, non - stop, everywhere. Music flooded the streets and thousands paraded through with different costumes and dances. Sitting in Central Park watching the locals enjoying the celebrations but also the peddlers trying to make some money and extremely young children shining shoes and selling cigarettes shows how polarised our societies are.

We escaped the fiesta for a couple of hours on the coffee tour high up in the mountains. Did you know coffee starts off as a red fruit? Well we know everything about coffee now! And we have realised that coffee back home is not real coffee! While up there one of the volcanoes puffed out some smoke which you can sort of see in the picture.

We visited the well-known and bustling market where Annie obviously bought colourful items and Scott bought an interesting pair of "dude" shorts in an indoor market.

We have not experienced rainy season so far, only the UV rating of 13 which has sunned our skin already.

Tomorrow we are meeting up with the group which will be strange as our pace has been very laid-back (obviously with Scott) and we've actually stopped and taken everything in. However, more adventures and an array of experiences await us.

Hasta la próxima!


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



26th July 2015

Looks and sounds like an intriguing place and I didn't know Coffee started off as a red bean either. Any chance you can bring back any Coffee? How's the Spider's Scotty?
27th July 2015

It is such an interesting place, the coffee is purchased and ready to be brewed! Tastes so different to back home! No spiders yet but the rainforest awaits, I'm sure I'll encounter some sort of dangerous creature, if not Annie!
26th July 2015

Wow
It looks so fantastic. Loving the photos. Looks like you having so much fun. Keep enjoying and sending the blogs. Love you both xx

Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0392s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb