Central America First Stop - Guatemala - January 2012


Advertisement
Published: February 11th 2012
Edit Blog Post

On Monday January 16th, we flew from DF to Guatemala City to begin our Central American Adventure. We settled into a nice older charming hotel called the Pan American, located only a block from the Centro Historico and spent the afternoon wandering through the Zocalo, which they call the Centro. We enjoyed the flavor of Latin America finding Guatemala City similar but also different than Mexico. W... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 36, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Antigua's Centro PlazaAntigua's Centro Plaza
Antigua's Centro Plaza

Now a UNESCO World Heritage Site, Antigua, population 35,000, is now the heart of Guatemala's tourism industry. Taken from the top of the administration building.
Earthquake Destroyed CathedralEarthquake Destroyed Cathedral
Earthquake Destroyed Cathedral

Because they have so many earthquakes, it is not worth rebuilding the entire structure. Only parts have been rebuilt for local use.
Climbing Mount PacayaClimbing Mount Pacaya
Climbing Mount Pacaya

Exiting the van at the mountain, we were accosted by children renting us walking sticks for 5Q. Turned out to be great investment as the sticks were a huge benefit.
Pay the Entry FeePay the Entry Fee
Pay the Entry Fee

Being a national park, we had to pay for the privilege of climbing an active volcano.
Follow the TrailFollow the Trail
Follow the Trail

We climbed for a couple of hours before reaching the lava flow from the last eruption 20 years ago.
Resting on our way upResting on our way up
Resting on our way up

Volcan Pacaya is an active volcano in Guatemala. It first eruption was approximately 23,000 years ago. It has since erupted at least 23 times.
Near the TopNear the Top
Near the Top

Taking a rest. The scene was remarkable. The walking sticks were a great help, both going up, and again coming down, especially in the dark.
Lava Rocks of every sizeLava Rocks of every size
Lava Rocks of every size

Close to the top, the lava sits and hardens creating a moon-like landscape.
Saskatoon ConnectionSaskatoon Connection
Saskatoon Connection

Two others in our group happened to be from Saskatoon as well. How fascinating to meet people from home on the top of a volcano in Guatemala.
Roasting MarshmallowsRoasting Marshmallows
Roasting Marshmallows

It was worth the climb just to be able to say that we roasted marshmallows using an active volcano!
Another VolcanoAnother Volcano
Another Volcano

Now extinct, the distant mountains made a beautiful backdrop as the sun set, and the temperature dropped.
Leaving AntiguaLeaving Antigua
Leaving Antigua

Walking from our homestay to the Centro. We head into Guatemala City to take the Ticabus for San Salvador, El Salvador!
Chicken Buses in the distanceChicken Buses in the distance
Chicken Buses in the distance

Lots of traffic and people everywhere. The chicken buses are brightly colored and kept very clean, though the tires are often badly worn.
Boarding the TicabusBoarding the Ticabus
Boarding the Ticabus

Ticabus is a company that runs first class buses between the capital cities of Central America. We were able to buy a ticket for the whole trip, booking our seats only the day prior to leaving.
At the BorderAt the Border
At the Border

As we leave Guatemala and head into El Salvador. We liked the signs.



19th February 2012

Always love the blogs!
Hi! You make the traveling look so easy! Very interesting too!
2nd June 2012

Hello from Guatemala!
Hello Linda and Maurice, This is Luisa, from Guatemala city. A friend from Hungary is coming to visit me :) so i was searching some info to send him...and I found your amazing and interesting blog! I'm so glad you enjoyed your days here and liked Guatemala as well...I feel so proud when I see foreings writing and uploading pics from their trips from Guatemala!! I will definitely send him your blog's link (if you don't mind!!) then he won't be so scared about things he's heard from here. Keep enjoying your amazing trips!!! Peace!! (oh my facebook address is : Luisa Chaluleu) Luisa Ch.

Tot: 0.129s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 21; dbt: 0.0874s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb