Antigua!


Advertisement
Published: September 18th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Group PictureGroup PictureGroup Picture

Leaving Pasaj Cap
Today we left amazing Lake Atitlan and our wonderful stay at Pasaj Cap and headed for Antigua. Antigua is quite possibly the most famous city in Guatemala - well known for its Spanish schools and colonial architecture. I would like to say our trip to Antigua was uneventful, but it turned out to be quite an adventure!

It all started about half way up a switchback road leaving San Marcos La Laguna. We came across a flatbed truck that was loaded with cement blocks, but had lost his brakes. Now this road is not a normal road, it is hairpin turn after hairpin turn and quite possibly the steepest road I've been on. Apparently the truck hit the guardrail, which luckily stopped the truck, and undoubtedly saved the life of the driver and possibly several people below that would have been in the way of a truck rolling down the hillside. After an hour or so a new truck was loaded with the blocks that were on the truck without brakes and a small gap opened up for cars to squeeze through. When it was our turn we had a Toyota Corolla in front of us and it had a
Lake AtitlanLake AtitlanLake Atitlan

View looking down at the lake where we were waiting for truck with no brakes to open up the road.
difficult time fitting between the truck and the guardrail on the hairpin turn. We all started to get a little sweaty thinking about our attempt as our van was about twice the size of the Corolla - but Chema, our driver, did an oustanding job and got us through the area without incident. The whole thing reminded me of a time when Amy and I were in northern Guatemala on a chicken bus with 31 people (with seating for 12 or 15). On that trip we blew a tire going up a steep road with no shoulders. We had vehicles flying around us and it was an adventure we remember vividly. I imagine today's adventure will be remembered for a long time! I wonder if a trip to Guatemala is complete without some sort of vehicle adventure?!?

In Antigua we first tried a hostel we had communicated with by email, but they had given our reserved rooms away so we headed down the street. We landed at the Hostel Don Quixote where each couple has their own room, but only Mom and Dad have a private bathroom. We headed out to the main street and market for the afternoon.
Antigua archAntigua archAntigua arch

A look down the main strip in Antigua
The market was incredible, it seemed to never end and the majority of it is not visible from the street. I think most of the experience of the market would have been missed if we didn't go off the street into the depths.

We finished the night with a Hookah at Gaia. For those unfamiliar with a Hookah it is a water pipe for smoking flavored tobacco. This was Mom's first time trying a Hookah and I'm not sure she would have tried in the States but it was part of the experience. At one point Cole said, "Mom can you stand up?" Which mom responded by saying, "eventually." Overall it was a great experience.

While going through the streets we found a sports bar that will show the Packer game - so we will get to enjoy at least one more Packer game before the season passes us by. Game starts tomorrow at 11:00 local time. Go Packers!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

AntiguaAntigua
Antigua

Church and convent
MarketMarket
Market

Antigua market
HookahHookah
Hookah

Mom and Amy at Gaia
ChillinChillin
Chillin

At Gaia enjoying a hookah


18th September 2011

What an Adventure!!!!
Keep the stories coming. I look forward to reading your blog daily and seeing the pictures. You are doing a great job and sound like you are having a great time. Thanks so much for sharing!!!!!
19th September 2011

Taylor, Sounds like a life-long adventure. Great blog. Keep it up and only err on the safer side! Best regards to you, Amy and family The Grump
21st September 2011
Market

My bro
Dave never did like shopping, no matter where you are in the world! Glad you guys had some fun & adventures....more to come, I'm sure.
22nd September 2011

Dad
@Peg - dad never was much of a shopper. Funny how the locals were attracted to the person that likes to shop the least. They must have sensed he wanted to explore the culture and enjoy the people too much to leave him alone. It was fun to watch!

Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 82; dbt: 0.0766s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb