Volcan Pacaya


Advertisement
Published: November 10th 2009
Edit Blog Post

On Sunday afternoon/night, Mitch and I hiked Volcan Pacaya. Our advice-don't do it at night!
There were cute little kids when we got out of the shuttle that were selling home made walking sticks for 5Q which we returned at the end of the hike.The hike was about two hours up, the last half hour being straight up a steep slope covered in volcanic rock which is very sharp! There is a line where suddenly you walk out of the jungle and you are in an area that looks like Mordor (LOTR). It was extra ominous because there was a thunder and lightening storm the whole time we were up there and tons of fog.
At the top, we actually saw lava, which was sweet! It was pouring out of this random looking rock and it was so hot you couldn't get any closer really than two metres. Just standing that close, the bottoms of my shoes melted and started sticking to the rocks. It was sooo pretty and creepy.
On the way down, it was pitch dark! Mitch and I had to lead the way down the volcano as the guide was way behind with a crazy lady and it was pretty tricky with only a few small flashlights and we kept slipping on the sandy volcanic rock. We met some funny Americans from Alaska and New York as well. When we got back to the jungle part, it was pouring but it felt nice after being so hot. When we got back to Antigua, we pigged out on Pizza.
Tonight, we are going to see "Adventureland" at the english theatre here. The theatre is sweet, as instead o regular theatre seating, it has balconies with chairs and tables and the waiter serves coffee and booze and food. There is no entrance fee, we only need to buy some coffee.
This is our last week of spanish school so Mitch and I are planning what to do next. We will probably head north to Semuc Champey which has waterfalls and pools to swim in and caves and such. Can't wait!

Linds and Mitch

Advertisement



Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0374s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb