Feliz año neuvo!


Advertisement
Published: December 31st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Happy New Year! We´ve arrived in the big smoke (well it certainly feels like that after San Marcos), and it is clear that it will be party time here. Jack has discovered the good and bad news that his hotel is hosting a New Year´s Eve party, until 2.00am. Yikes, glad we´re in a nice quite one.

I´ve also finally managed to upload some photos, which I´m quite pleased about. However rather belatedly, it has occured to both me and Jack that I could have simply used his camera to upload, rather than fiddle about with this one. Good news for next time though!

We took the shuttle bus from San Marcos to Antigua, about a three hour drive. The roads don´t really get any better, but it is nice to finally be here. Antigua is really cute town, quite touristy, but not a bad thing after San Marcos. Like Xela, narrow cobbled streets, which are hell on your ankles! But packed with great restaurants, cafes and shops.

There is a central plaza, which is great place to hang out and people watch. Our hotel is not far from a large church, one of what seems to be dozens here. The hotel is great, set around a little courtyard and quite lovely. After all that time in San Marcos our standards have changed somewhat. I was delighted with flushing toilets and a hot water shower, and Lucy thought it was fantastic just because it didn´t smell. How times have changed!

Haven´t had much of an opportunity to explore yet, but we´ve got a few days here, so looking forward to doing just that. Plenty of things to do it seems, include climb volcanos, visit Mayan villages or a tour of a Maya god figure, Maximon.

Happy New Year to you all!




Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Antigua - first glimpseAntigua - first glimpse
Antigua - first glimpse

At every turn you stumble across some ruins


Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0202s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb