The Guatemalan Elections


Advertisement
Published: September 17th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Lining up to vote in AntiguaLining up to vote in AntiguaLining up to vote in Antigua

As in the US, the voting takes place in local schools.
(Written by Steve)

September 9 was election day in Guatemala. For the several months preceding the elections, the country buzzed with demonstrations, trucks carrying loud speakers, banners and some violence between candidates and parties (although nothing in Antigua itself).

On election day itself, everything seemed very, very orderly. People line up with their ID at the assigned table, are checked and handed separate (certified) ballots for presidential, congressional and local candidates and after they’ve voted, they turn in their ballot and mark their hand with ink to show they’ve already voted. Seven people are assigned (one from each major party) to watch every single table and keep an eye out for corruption. At the end of the day, each has to sign and agree that they believe the votes cast to be valid. The EU, Japan, Organization of American States, and other outside observers and military officials are around as well to keep everything peaceful and above board.

But, alas, it doesn’t all work exactly as it appears. Corruption is still a major issue here. It is possible to get two or more cédulas (ID documents) and thus vote more than once. It is also not uncommon for
Philip votes!Philip votes!Philip votes!

Philip was so excited today, as he was quite hopeful his candidate would win. After the vote, it appears she lost by 200 votes, and there appears to have been some irregularities with one of the voting stations (which collected 1500 votes, with ZERO for his candidate - quite unlikely in that neigbhorhood).
parties to bus in people from outside, give them documentation and have them vote. My tutor said that in his small village where there is only one voting location, people were wandering around asking where to cast their ballot… Less conscientious people are selected to man the tables, bribes are exchanged and observers look the other way. When the courts are brought in to settle charges of corruption, they too are often part of the problem and so that leaves results that are not very satisfying for our Guatemalan friends. In this round (a run-off to determine the two top candidates), Alvaro Colom of the left-leaning UNE party, and Otto Perez, a military guy from the more right-leaning Patriot Party, have advanced to compete for the presidency on November 4th.

We know from our own experience in the States that where there are humans seeking powerful positions, corruption is a constant threat… Still, many seemed to participate faithfully and that does give one hope that, in time, this country’s democracy will improve.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Three purple fingersThree purple fingers
Three purple fingers

Showing their ink stains, Philip, Christine and friend Lucy.
Teaching the next generationTeaching the next generation
Teaching the next generation

At the town square, there was a mock voting station to show kids how the process works. (Or should work...)


Tot: 0.161s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 66; dbt: 0.0825s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb