Antigua so far


Advertisement
Published: August 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post

The blogging so far has not been as frequent as intended. There's always stuff to do, and the first few days of a vacation for us always involve extended tour-a-thons. I think we're starting to settle into more of a relaxed routine, and my frequency might improve.

Antigua is a lovely town. While a big tourist destination by Guatemalan standards, it's not so much by world standards. Go to the center of other big tourist towns and cities—Paris, Roma, London, San Miguel de Allende, whatever—and you will find a beautiful wasteland of overpriced and horrible tourist restaurants and shops. The equivalent in the center of Antigua, while still relatively so compared to further-flung portions of town, are still enjoyable places to spend some time.

It's nicely sized to spend a week or few. The official stats say 12 blocks by 12 blocks, then quickly tapering off into countryside. All walkable, not overwhelming, but still with enough variety. We've spent most of our time walking in that grid and have yet to tire of it.

On our second day here, we joined a walking tour of the city with one Elizabeth Bell, whom I'm gathering is a legend in her own mind. There's a definite arrogance to her, arguably deserved due to her heavy involvement in many fantastic projects around the city. She's a guiding light behind development in Antigua over the last 30 years. At least according to her. I'm quite curious to know the reality.

But I'm being overly critical. The tour was, despite all that, quite worthwhile, a mix of history and architecture and current and past culture and where the city is headed. I'd recommend it, and the associated fee seems to go to worthwhile ends.

That was a good introduction. Beyond that there has been various wanderings around the town, lately often accompanied by fellow guests at our guesthouse, Stanley and Penny from New York. Stanley was born and spent his childhood in Guatemala, so it's a bit of an 'in' connection and has helped to see the place through new eyes. Lunch today was spent with them and a Cubano (also currently living in New York) in a small cantina talking and joking over plenty of beer. Ahh, that's what this trip is meant to be about.

So, yeah, we're settling into the travel groove now. There's a lot to like about this country, and I think we might spend the greater part of our trip here.

Aside from that, we picked up a cheap cellphone. If anybody wants to get in touch, incoming calls are free, so go ahead and drop a line: +502 5090 9319.

I'll try to post some more pics. I'm still trying to work out an efficient way to resize them for upload so it doesn't take forever to do. This is a very photogenic town, and I'd like to share that aspect.

Advertisement



1st August 2007

Got your cell
AxS from Antigua? Where are the pictures!?!

Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0273s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb