Coffee & Macadamia Nut tours in Antigua, Guatemala


Advertisement
Published: February 20th 2023
Edit Blog Post

We took two note worth tours while in visiting Antigua. The first one was a classroom adventure to Finca la Azotea, Jocotenango. A short Q5 Chicken Bus ride to Jocotenango, then a 4 block walk and we arrived at the coffee farm.

Chicken bus explanation: Chicken buses by the way are refurbished school busses from the USA. They are purchased for about $2000, driven all the way to Guatemala, then adorn in multiple bright colors and decorations. They gained their notable name due to the fact that they have been known to carry all types of cargo other than people, including chickens. People are primarily on the busses today, however the chicken bus name has stuck.

At the coffee farm we were greeted by our tour guide who explained to us the effect the elevation, volcanos and climate have on the growth of coffee in Guatemala. The coffee is mild in color and flavor compared to what Don and I drink at home. There are many coffee processing farms in the area but only a few offer tours, tasting, and selling of products. This one was very thorough with the history and process of getting the cup of coffee in my hands. The farm was large enough that they used tractors yet hand manual helpers using stick made brooms to line the beans in the intense drying sunshine. The ripe, red, coffee beans can be picked and bitten into to taste. The juice is slightly sweet and pleasant. We followed the bean from picking at the plant through the facility to a brewing room where we enjoyed a hot cup of coffee. It was enjoyable, completely in Spanish, and I highly recommend.

The second tour we took was to Valhalla Macadamia Farm, San Miguel Duenas. Macadamia nuts are not native to Guatemala, these trees were transplanted by the owner to provide a resource, jobs, and sustainable income to natives (by donating 6 month old trees to local families). They provide a tour, an English speaking guide, nut and chocolate samples and it was finished off with a facial massage....all for free! There are oils, nuts, chocolates etc. for purchase afterwards and a restaurant that features macadamia nut recipes. The farm is very environmentally aware by reusing resources and building their own equipment to process the nuts until they get to a processing facility (government enforced). A chicken bus back to Antigua is easily found by standing on the side of the road and waving a bus down, heading in our direction. All busses are usually going to the biggest nearby city.

Travel opens your heart, broadens your mind, and fills your life with stories to tell.

Michelle


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Coffee TourCoffee Tour
Coffee Tour

Beans drying in the sun.
Coffee TourCoffee Tour
Coffee Tour

Coffee bean plant.
Coffee TourCoffee Tour
Coffee Tour

Baby coffee plants, waiting to be transplanted.
Coffee TourCoffee Tour
Coffee Tour

Workers sweeping the dried coffee beans with stick made brooms.
Macadamia Nut TourMacadamia Nut Tour
Macadamia Nut Tour

First stage of the macadamia nut, the blossom.
Macadamia Nut TourMacadamia Nut Tour
Macadamia Nut Tour

The blossoms can be white or shades of pink. Each variety has different features of color, size, and quantity. There are hundreds of varieties.
Macadamia Nut TourMacadamia Nut Tour
Macadamia Nut Tour

Then the nut produces.
Macadamia Nut TourMacadamia Nut Tour
Macadamia Nut Tour

The macadamia nut loosing it's outer green shell.
Macadamia Nut TourMacadamia Nut Tour
Macadamia Nut Tour

This man made wonder extracts the nut from the outer green shell.
Macadamia nutsMacadamia nuts
Macadamia nuts

This man made mechanism filters the nuts by size and drops them into the appropriate bag. Each size of nut has a specific job. The smaller ones contain a rich oil that will be extracted while the larger ones will be used in cooking. The middle size are best for snacking.
Macadamia Nut TourMacadamia Nut Tour
Macadamia Nut Tour

Macadamia nuts soaking up the sun. It takes months for the nuts to dry. When dried you can shake the nut and hear it rattle inside...that means it ready to loose it's hard shell.
Macadamia Nut TourMacadamia Nut Tour
Macadamia Nut Tour

Best bathroom in Guatemala. It is like a jungle with natural bamboo, plant, and rock features.
Macadamia Nut TourMacadamia Nut Tour
Macadamia Nut Tour

The only unnatural feature to the bathroom, yet a necessary one.
Macadamia Nut TourMacadamia Nut Tour
Macadamia Nut Tour

Receiving our nut and chocolate samples.
Macadamia Nut TourMacadamia Nut Tour
Macadamia Nut Tour

Don opted out of the facial massage, I asked for two!


Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 18; dbt: 0.0291s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb