Photos of Central America


Advertisement
Published: April 3rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Tikal National Park in BelizeTikal National Park in BelizeTikal National Park in Belize

A pizote is crossing the path. It looks like a weasel but has a long striped tail.
Hi Everybody!
I am going to try to upload some of my Central American photos. We arrived in San Salvador last night. It is the capital city of El Salvador and is densely populated. One and a half million people live in the city with half that number living in shantytowns surrounding the city. There are not enough jobs to support that population. This causes a large amount of petty crime. We got here after dark and didn´t feel safe leaving the hotel. This morning we walked to a pupuserias to try the most popular Salvadoran food - the pupusa. They are made with rice flour which gives them a lightness (that I prefer over the heavy corn tortillas.) They look like a pancake but are filled with refried black beans and cheese. I found them to be delicious! Everything is served with hot sauce and salsa. On the table, you usually find a jar filled with curtido, a vinegary pickled cabbage and carrot concoction. This is a relish for food at all meals.
San Salvador has been damaged so many times by earthquakes (the latest in 1986 and 2001) that few historical buildings are left. We can tell that we don´t want to spend a lot of time here. If we can get out today, we are going to keep moving.
Yesterday, we left Antigua in a 10 passenger van. It did not put extra people in there so we were comfortable. The last passenger had his bike in a box, and I wasn´t sure that it would fit in, but it did. He was from Amsterdam and had ridden his bike from Panama to Guatemala for the last 3 months. When we got to Guatemala, we hired a nice taxi driver to take us to the immigration office. We spent 2 hours there and finally got our passport stamped. We each paid a fine and gave the taxi driver a nice tip for helping us. We rode through hilly land and mountaineous land. Often, we could look down into a fertile valley with many crops and fruit trees. In one village, we passed a funeral procession of about 100 people. They were walking with 4 men carrying a metal casket on their shoulders. The women were dressed in black. We saw high school students leaving their schools late in the afternoon.
Take care,
Everette


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Tikal National Park in BelizeTikal National Park in Belize
Tikal National Park in Belize

Tikal Hotel pool and bungalows
Santa Elena, GuatemalaSanta Elena, Guatemala
Santa Elena, Guatemala

Baby chicks in cage are for sale in the market
Antiqua, GuatemalaAntiqua, Guatemala
Antiqua, Guatemala

Church in Antiqua
Antigua, GuatemalaAntigua, Guatemala
Antigua, Guatemala

Hotel Aurora
Antiqua, GuatemalaAntiqua, Guatemala
Antiqua, Guatemala

Hotel Aurora
Antigua, GuatemalaAntigua, Guatemala
Antigua, Guatemala

Fountain in the Central Plaza
Antigua, GuatemalaAntigua, Guatemala
Antigua, Guatemala

This hanging basket is made from a tire tube. It has a frame of wire. I saw many of these along the cobblestone streets.
Antigua, GuatemalaAntigua, Guatemala
Antigua, Guatemala

A building near the square
Antigua, GuatemalaAntigua, Guatemala
Antigua, Guatemala

The courtyard of a restaurant in Antigua
San SalvadorSan Salvador
San Salvador

This is a clear box that I suppose is for a casket.


Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.037s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb