Our second work day


Advertisement
Published: October 22nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Tara and IngridTara and IngridTara and Ingrid

Ingrid insisted on helping out our site, which we loved. She was going to take this load on her own, but I talked her into sharing!
Today was another great day on the build sites. We made so much progress.

Mike, Pete, Mary, Dawn, Marcia, Carrie, Krystal and I (Tara) finished digging out the trenches for the foundation--interior walls--and finished tying rebar. At the end of the day we dug out and helped prepare a pit for mixing the cement by hand. During the day, we had a few extra helping hands as neighbor children offered to help. They helped carry out the dirt whether by hand or wheelbarrow. Of course, break time is just as important. There were more marble matches and bubbles. More smiles and laughter.

Julie, Cate, Keith, Tim, Diane, Natalie and I (Katie) discovered a LARGE stump in our trench and fought it for a good part of the day with an ax, machete and a lot of will power (we won). We have been digging silently side-by-side with Gustavo, a 16-year-old boy. Today we worked up enough Spanglish to discover that this is his house. He was beaming when we dug out the area for his bedroom.

It's good work with instant rewards.

We again accompanied Carlitos to school at Noon and received just as warm a welcome. The kids recognized us and many more worked up the courage to try to talk to us today. They are so curious about us. We gave two huge frisbees to the school so the children can enjoy them during their recesses. They were an instant hit!

Our plan to visit Mayan ruins was foiled by rain, but we were thankful the rain stayed clear of our work sites and allowed us to work a full day with more cloud cover than yesterday. Since we are so close to the equator, the sun can be very intense, so any break is welcome!

Tonight reflected on the value of family. We already knew the Latin American culture to be family centered - but spending every day in the middle of their family life a powerful experience. The children are constantly looking after each other and they seem incredibly calm and happy. Families spend their days in constant contact, but they do not raise their voices. The daily rhythm for little Carlitos is a stark contract to our children who live with day planners. We are searching for ways to remember these lessons when we return home.

We miss you
Natalie making friendsNatalie making friendsNatalie making friends

Josefin and Caterin follow Natalie wherever she goes! The two girls are cousins of the family we are working with to build a home.
all and enjoy your posts.



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Celebrating the end of digging trenches!Celebrating the end of digging trenches!
Celebrating the end of digging trenches!

Pete, Tara, Marcia and Dawn still had enough strength to hoist our pick axes one more time for a "progress" picture.
Alejandro, Carin and little brotherAlejandro, Carin and little brother
Alejandro, Carin and little brother

Carin's little brother kept trying to sneak across the street to see what we were up too. Finally his mama allowed Karen to bring him over. Alejandro, their neighbor came over too!
Transito and Pedro Transito and Pedro
Transito and Pedro

These two guys are soooo strong. They are our mason assistants and keep us on task.


22nd October 2008

Oh, mom... you fight that stump! You should have Megan translate a few phrases for you to talk to Gustavo, I bet he'd be really excited! Hope you're having fun and aren't too sore :) love, erin <3
22nd October 2008

Happy Birthday Diane G!!!!!!
I was wondering if you could wish Diane Happy Birthday from her favorite son and daughter-in-law!!! Please let her know that we miss her and are praying for you guys!! Thanks.
22nd October 2008

Happy Birthday Mom!
Hope you have a great birthday! Can't wait to hear more about your adventures in El Salvador! Have a super great day! Love you!
22nd October 2008

Great work! We are glad everything is going good for your team. We look forward to your return and hearing about your experiences.
22nd October 2008

Birthday wish...
Happy Birthday Diane!! I am enjoying the blog and will expect lots more stories when you get back. "Thank you" to all of you on the Build, be proud, what an fantastic deed you are doing!
22nd October 2008

Enjoy your trip
Ah, the memories! Marcia and Cate have fun with digging trenches and tying rebar. Makes you a stronger person! Natalie, I can so see you out there swinging an axe. All, enjoy every minute of your trip. You will create life long memories that will be a part of you forever. Take care. Be safe.
22nd October 2008

You guys/gals Rock!
Having been in the 'trenches' before, I understand how hard of work that is. But your're absolutely right, its sooo rewarding when you look back at the end of the day! Keep up the great work team El Savador! You are making a huge difference! Blessings!
22nd October 2008

Hang in there...
Carrie - glad to hear that you made it safely. Your journey already sounds exciting. Hopefully the heat and rain don't get too bad. See you when you get back home. Shannon
22nd October 2008

Happy Birthday Diane !
Thank you Diane and everyone for volunteering in helping others. Happy Birthday.
22nd October 2008

Happy Birthday Diane
Happy Birthday from your friends in TCOE. Don't miss work too much. Enjoy the warm weather! There's a chance of snow this weekend.
22nd October 2008

Hurray!
Hey Team El Salvador! Way to go on the progress you guys are making. I am very proud of your whole team for doing this. Thank you so much for all you are doing. A big hello to Julie V from Diane B. Safe travels!
22nd October 2008

Way to Go Mary!!
It sounds like you are all working hard and making a big difference in the lives others. I can't wait to see the all photos you bring back. I'll keep checking the blog for more updates! Keep posting.
22nd October 2008

Making friends
Thank you, Team El Salvador, for making friends with real people and demonstrating the goodness Americans can bring to the world. Proud you are our ambassadors! Hi Cate - see you Sunday
22nd October 2008

Hi Carrie!
Hi Carrie! I am so glad to be reading all of the good news! I hope you guys are having a fantastic eye opening time so far away from home! Unfortunately, I have no baby news to share with you Carrie. It looks like the baby will be coming on Saturday with the help of Dr. O'Leary. I guess the little one wanted to wait for you to be closer to home! Take Care! Love ya! Denise
22nd October 2008

Tara-Sounds like you are having a great time and working very hard. I can't wait to hear everything. Have fun. Stay safe.
22nd October 2008

Congratulations
Congratulations on defeating that stump. I can't imagine how difficult that was. Gustavo's smile must make you want to work even harder. Keep up the great work. I loved the pictures. My prayers are with you all to do your best and return safely to us. Miss you lots Tim!!! Love Polly
22nd October 2008

Habitat for Humanity Affiliate Donation
Incredible experiences for all of Team El Salvador...enjoy every minute, including the aches and pains. Good news to share...Tuesday was the casual dress day fundraiser for the two Corporate Thrivent Builds Worldwide Teams and I'm happy to share with you that the El Salvador Habitat for Humanity affiliate will receive a check for $815 on behalf of your team. Your impact is far reaching! Natalie, hope you're have a great time. Can't wait to hear all about it when you return!
22nd October 2008

Digging Trenches
Dawn, after digging all those trenches of heavy clay in the scorching sun, just think how easy and light it will be to shovel fluffy snow! :) (Snow flurries predicted for Northern Wisconsin). Take care, girlfriend, and see you when you get home.
23rd October 2008

So proud
I am so proud of what you are all doing. The challenges seem quite intense, which make the rewards even sweeter. Well done all. Michael, how is your knee? Are you able to have any basic conversations in Spanish with anyone?
23rd October 2008

Wow
Your hard work is paying off! Nice job everyone. Natalie, the "WOO" in you is shining through! Awesome picture of you and your new little friends! Take care girl - safe travels home. Talk to you next week!
23rd October 2008

DIG, DIG, DIG
Gotta love those trenches! :) Hard work indeed. Wish I was digging with you Cate/Marcia. Keep sharing the pics and great stories!
23rd October 2008

You go girl!
Hi Diane, Happy Birthday to you also. How is the weather? We might get some snow flurries Sunday. Can't wait to hear the stories when you return. Hugs and kisses:o) from your bff.
24th October 2008

Happy B'day Diane...
Thank you Diane and everyone for volunteering in helping others. Happy Birthday.

Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0539s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.2mb