Dia Numero Uno


Advertisement
Published: July 16th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Coconut MilkCoconut MilkCoconut Milk

" Didn't you say this was supposed to taste like coconut?"
After two hours of sleep, a four A.M. wake-up call, and an almost near death experience with a sub division gate, my cousin Jason and I boarded the plane to Atlanta. We endured the misery of listening to a baby scream bloody murder for the duration of the flight. Even the tunes of Michael Jackson could not muffle the obnoxious antics of that child. Our flight to El Salvador was delayed for two hours due to mechanical problems. Finally, after eleven total hours of travel we arrived in San Salvador. We were greeted by a tall Salvadoran chick and her posse waving a Howard sign. We call her Liz (Jason's wife who is doing an internship for the U.S. Embassy... reason for free living!) Did you know that El Salvador has a ten dollar admission fee?

Five of us including our luggage squeezed into a Mitsubishi Eclipse where we sipped on coconut milk from a street vendor. The Eclipse had no a/c; so we arrived at our destination five lbs. of water weight lighter. On the way to our house we made a pit stop at a local restaurant that served authentic Salvadoran cuisine. It's known for its chicken soup. We gorged like vikings before battle on carne asada, pollo, arroz, tortillas, guacamole, and some "special" cheese.

We then arrived at the house which surpassed our expectations. The house is owned by a U.S. Embassy Diplomat. A family of three normally live here but are vacationing in the States. The house has four bedrooms and five bathrooms and is more secure than Fort Knox. I chose the room with the toys, bean bag chair, and my favorite - the Lava Lamp (oooooooh!).

A much needed nap was enjoyed before we set off for dinner. According to locals, we feasted on pupusas (tortillas stuffed with cheese, pork and refried beans) at the best pupusa restaurant in all of El Salvador (perhaps the world). We enjoyed the the live talent of a Mariachi Band. Unfortunately, half way through our meal the restaurant lost electricity and so we dined by candle light and Liz's book light. Before we set off for home we stopped at a scenic Lookout with a fantastic view of the city lights.

That concludes Dia Numero Uno. Jason says, "Send Pepto Bismol STAT!"

We leave for Guatemala early tomorrow.

Stay tuned...

The Howard
Chicken SoupChicken SoupChicken Soup

Dining viking style!
Family (El Salvador Division)


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

GorgingGorging
Gorging

"Only four more bowls and I'll be full"
Christina's RoomChristina's Room
Christina's Room

She brought the stuffed animals.
MariachiMariachi
Mariachi

For $1.00 in El Salvador you too can have this much fun!
PupusaPupusa
Pupusa

Spanish for heart attack on a plate.


16th July 2009

You're a cocoNUT!
HAHA Hope you like the subject title! Looks like you have some nicer accomodations than when you were in Thailand! Have an awesome time!!! XoXo! Be SAFE!
16th July 2009

Lucky
I'm so damn jealous of you! I should have come.
17th July 2009

OMG all those pix are making me hungry!
The food looks great this time! Hope you had fun in guatemala - cant wait to see those pix! So good to see you awake and smiling this trip - not in various sleeping positions with a bug net wrapped arround you for safety! Happy Travels

Tot: 0.126s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 36; dbt: 0.0347s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb