El Arbol de Dios


Advertisement
Published: April 14th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Today we got up and got ready for work, but Dr. Iglesias called around 8 and told us that he wasn't feeling well so we wouldn't be going to work today. Katie and I decided that this would be the perfect opportunity to go to the art gallery, El Arbol de Dios, that is a few blocks away. The gallery is owned by Fernando Llort, who is pretty much the most famous artist in El Salvador. He is most well known for designing the tiles on the front of the Metropolitan Cathedral in San Salvador and for starting an art school for people in rural villages to encourage self-sustenance. Pretty much any place that sells handicrafts or souvenirs sells knockoffs of his work, so it was pretty exciting to be at his actual gallery and the tile shop that made the tiles for the cathedral. He mostly portrays images of daily life, farm work, and religious themes all of which are very important to El Salvador and its people. His work is very simple and colorful, so obviously I was into it. We bought a piece of art for the new house which we are really excited about!!! We also got some souvenirs and gifts and Katie bought a really beautifully painted cross, which is one of the artist's specialties. Attached to the gallery is a pupuseria, so we had a very filling lunch that cost $5 for the two of us before running some errands and heading home to study.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.032s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb