Day 5- Our final work day on the site


Advertisement
Published: October 25th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Today was our last day on the work site. After several days of digging, it was rewarding to see the house begin to take shape as we laid the first course of bricks.

Raphael reminded us of our cultural differences when we told him the story of Jack and the Bean Stock during a beak. When Jack discovered the bean stalk, he said Jack should start picking beans for his family. When we told him about the Goose Who Laid the Golden Egg, he didn’t understand the concept of gold and recommended he give the goose to his mother to eat.

We ended on a happy note when a Mariachi band appeared from the house and the community children filled the yard to dance. The children called us individually by name to receive a diploma and the families presented each of us with a special gift.

Our foreman, Jacob (“HAK-ob”), is a quiet and serious man and continued to work during the ceremony. Tim hugged him as we left and completely broke down. He put his hand over his heart and his words didn’t need translation.



Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Carlitos with his cousinsCarlitos with his cousins
Carlitos with his cousins

Carlitos, right, is part of the family we are building with in this village.
Moving dirtMoving dirt
Moving dirt

Keith, Tara and Natalie work together to get rid of dirt from the site.
Martin, Luis and Anna MariaMartin, Luis and Anna Maria
Martin, Luis and Anna Maria

At the goodbye ceremony we each received a certificate with our team photo, a hat and pail from Habitat for Humanity El Salvador. I wish the real pails were that small!
Mariachi Band at celebrationMariachi Band at celebration
Mariachi Band at celebration

Just when we couldn't take any more sadness as we were saying goodbye to the families and our hosts, this mariachi band came up and lightened up the party. They were wonderful!
Dancing machines!Dancing machines!
Dancing machines!

Dawn, Diane and Katie finally talked or should I say dragged Gustavo to the dance floor. Gustavo is the 16-year-old son of one of the families we are building with in Balernos.


Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0449s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb