Vamos a la Playa


Advertisement
Published: July 27th 2008
Edit Blog Post

A few friends and I were looking for short get away as a reunion after years of geographical separation. Lured by cheap all inclusive deals we found ourselves at Eden H in Punta Cana. I've always had an aversion to all-inclusive resorts, after all to independent travelers they are tantamount to a self inflicted hostage crisis. But even I cannot resist the idea of a few days spent under the sun in a stunning beach, passing the time with no cares. Located on the eastern tip of the island of Hispaniola, Punta Cana is ground zero for the Dominican Republic's burgeoning tourism industry. The stretch of beach here is the stuff you dream about as you toil in your office cubicle. With its powdery white sand, countless coconut trees and lukewarm waters, it exemplifies Caribbean bliss.
Eden H is the newest resort in the area having just opened this year, it was clean and the smell of fresh paint was ubiquitous. The landscaping while still immature and far from verdant, should be beautiful in a few years. The resort came with the amenities expected of these places: a tiny gym, several bars, restaurants , pools (some with bars), after dinner entertainment (sushi lessons or karaoke anyone?), spa services and water sports from snorkeling to sea kayaking.The rooms were sufficiently comfortable albeit the semi-open bathroom set up takes getting used to (tip: bring candles or air freshener). Service was friendly without being intrusive or cloying (the staff is extra helpful if you try any little bit of Spanish you know).
As for the food, it was plenty and varied. There were several theme restaurants (French, Italian, Asian) and 2 buffets (one in the main dining hall and another by the beach). The theme restaurants were hit or miss ( you shouldn't expect good French food in the Caribbean anyways) but the buffets offered bountiful options of fresh fruits, grilled fish and meat. While we were ready with our antidiarrheals we did not need to use them. Most of the other guests were Europeans or South Americans, there were thankfully few of the obnoxious American Frat party types.
One highlight was the Friday night beach party. Under the stars the tables were set for an all out Caribbean fiesta, complete with roast suckling pig, an enormous selection of deserts and free flowing alcohol. After dinner we were treated to a variety show consisting of teenagers gyrating to hip hop and reggaeton, several versions of fire eaters and Limbo dancing (with audience participation). I thought the resort staff did a good job of promoting/ enforcing a festive atmosphere, even the shyest of wall flowers among the guests were induced to have fun.
Over all I would recommend this resort to someone looking for a few days of R&R under the sun with family or friends. My only regret was that my holiday there was utterly devoid of any cultural or historical learning but, oh well... we could all use a mindless vacation where the big decisions of the day were which swim suit to wear or which buffet to go to.




Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



18th August 2008

A paradise
All include hotel services sometimes is good, especially when you just need relaxing. Punta Cana is a good alternative. Gwen outsourcing solution
2nd September 2008

Hey
Hey thats great u liked the country its great beaches, and people next time try and visit santo domingo its really nice and there are alot of historical sites there.. :] Its great being part of this country im dominican with chinese ethnic .
18th September 2008

hello eli
thanks for the comment! i am filipino but live in chicago. i will definitely consider going back to DR and visit the rest of your beautiful country. Hope the hurricanes did not do too much damage. garret

Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0355s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb