Dominica Study Abroad - Day 19 & 20


Advertisement
Published: August 9th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Clem drove us to Dive Dominica today. We boarded a boat and went to Champagne Bay. After a couple of hours snorkeling at Champagne, we sailed west towards Martinique to go whale-watching. A guide swam with us in Champagne, pointing the various marine organisms. We saw a sea cucumber, swam over a wrecked British ship, and enjoyed the warm bubbles that give Champagne Bay its name.
During our whale-watching trip, our captain would continuously stop the boat and place this device in the water used for listening to whales. He would then follow the direction of their sounds, until we finally saw a sperm whale breaching. We followed her for a while and caught glimpses of what was probably her calf. The first whale was almost 9 m long.


Journal Entry 20: 06/13/10
Today was our last day in Dominica. We collected all of our gear and enjoyed some ice cream from an ice cream truck. I am truly saddened to leave this island, as it has been a wonderful experience. I hope to someday return, perhaps to conduct some more research of my own.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

ScorpionfishScorpionfish
Scorpionfish

I swam right over it without realizing what it was. Thankfully, it didn't do anything.
Sea TurtleSea Turtle
Sea Turtle

This was actually take at Scott's Head.


Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0441s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb