Dominica Study Abroad - Day 9


Advertisement
Published: August 9th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Sandy Beaches?!Sandy Beaches?!Sandy Beaches?!

The first sandy beach I went to in Dominica.
Today we visited the east coast of the island. Our first stop was at Castle Bruce, a beach facing the Atlantic Ocean. We then proceeded to Carib territory and eventually to Emerald Pool. Our tour guide at the Carib Territory was a member of the Carib tribe council. He showed us various aspects of Carib craftsmanship, including the area where they grow reeds used for basket-weaving. They demonstrated the entire process of basket-weaving and reed preparation to us, allowing us to partake in it as well. We also sampled pure cocoa and cocoa fruit. A few of the men showed us how cassava bread is made as well, and allowed us to sample some of it. Several people bought some to take back to the station with them. We went to Jules’s house, a Carib whose house faced a beautiful view. He spoke to us about different aspects of the Carib life and gave us mangoes and coconuts. We met back with Clem and before leaving, we stopped by these open-air shops. The women were selling primarily local goods and crafts, though they did have other things as well.
The hike to Emerald Pool was probably our shortest to date.
Basket-WeavingBasket-WeavingBasket-Weaving

This Carib Indian demonstrated the process of basket-weaving as well as preparing the reeds.
The pool was absolutely gorgeous and the water was crystal clear. All of us took turns jumping into the pool and Dr. Lacher showed us where we could cover ourselves with ‘medicinal mud’. We swam for a while and finally returned to ATREC.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

View from a BackyardView from a Backyard
View from a Backyard

Gorgeous view; this picture is not even close to how beautiful it is there.
Emerald PoolEmerald Pool
Emerald Pool

My favorite place of the island. The water was definitely chilly though, which was a change from Champagne Bay's warm waters.


Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0745s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb